Talk

Advanced search

Recommend me a tree for a small garden!

(7 Posts)
MrsJamin Thu 30-Mar-17 19:20:34

Here's a map! I was thinking of having a tree on the north border, near to the edge of the paving? I was going to make the border area a bit bigger there- could I grow things under a tree? How about a dwarf plum tree, would it get enough sun there? Any advice very welcome. I know a little about gardening but never had my own beds or borders to sow in before.

MrsJamin Mon 03-Apr-17 20:13:44

Anyone? blush

YellowDinosaur Mon 03-Apr-17 20:17:14

We've got a similar sized garden. We've got a rowan tree and a fan trained apple tree against one of our walls.

We also have 3 flowering cherry trees in our side garden, they're ones specially bred for small gardens (although I can't remember which type they are, sorry)

tissuesosoft Mon 03-Apr-17 20:33:04

Second cherry trees- they are beautiful.

www.rhs.org.uk/plants/articles/wisley/cherries-for-small-gardens

bookbook Mon 03-Apr-17 21:22:42

Amelanchier - my favourite small tree - it is in flower now, berries which the birds love, then great autumn colour smile

AstrantiaMajor Mon 03-Apr-17 22:12:13

A good place o start your research is Barcham trees. Not that you would buy from them as their trees are huge, but the have such a good website. You can put in location, shape, aspect and then narrrow your choices down. Do you want blossom, do you want an upright tree, a canopy or maybe something for year round interest?

Betula Jacquemonti
Sorbus Cashmiriana
Any prunus
Amalanchier
Prunus Seralia
Or an apple tree would be my personal choice.

Topnotes Tue 04-Apr-17 06:48:20

Apple blossom is my absolute favourite so another vote for an apple tree from me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now