Talk

Advanced search

What do I do with this?

(7 Posts)
FallenSky Wed 29-Mar-17 07:13:51

DS came home from school with this. He informs me it is a lettuce. I am to grow it, apparently. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. Any pointers for me? Pretty please?

It's currently sat in a little bowl with some water in the bottom on the windowsill and has sprouted what looks like cress, to me. Is it a lettuce? If it is, I presume I'm going to have to transfer it out of the little pot at some point. Appreciate any advice. I'm not very good with things like this! Thanks

Ifailed Wed 29-Mar-17 07:16:16

They could be lettuce seedlings - ask his teacher? If they are I'd thin them out a bit so there are only a few left. When they grow their 2nd set of leaves it will be easier to tell what they are and then you can prick them out and pot them on separately.

JT05 Wed 29-Mar-17 08:19:17

Get a small bag of potting compost and some small pots 5 cms across the top. Put no more than two seedlings in each.
When you've filled the pots with compost make a small hole with a pencil. Carefully remove a seedling, only holding it by the leaves, you must not touch the root. Drop it into the hole you've made with the pencil and gently push the compost together with the pencil tip. Repeat until you've think you've got enough.
Stand them on a plastic tray near a window. Water them very sparingly and gently.
Sorry if I've told you something you already know! smile

BagittoGo Wed 29-Mar-17 08:24:32

Is it not just water cress? It needs watering though 🙂

retyred Wed 29-Mar-17 08:29:29

Looks like cress to me .

indigo13 Wed 29-Mar-17 08:39:42

Looks like the beginnings of rocket

FallenSky Wed 29-Mar-17 09:02:12

Thanks everyone. Yes, it looks like cress to me as well but my knowledge of growing anything is pretty much non existent. That's really helpful JT05, there's nothing you can tell me that I already know!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now