Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What's this?

(19 Posts)
BathshebaDarkstone Mon 27-Mar-17 19:59:44

Apparently it's delicious, DH tried some.

traviata Mon 27-Mar-17 20:26:26

I can't quite see it. Coriander perhaps? (but surely it would be too early for it to be growing outside in the UK?)

can you do a leaf photo close up?

BathshebaDarkstone Tue 28-Mar-17 04:41:33

It's not coriander. I'll take one later.

BathshebaDarkstone Tue 28-Mar-17 07:08:52

Here you go. It's bloody cold out there! shock

Theworldisfullofidiots Tue 28-Mar-17 07:19:52

Dill?

bookbook Tue 28-Mar-17 07:49:59

could be carrot leaves? dill is more feathery..

BathshebaDarkstone Tue 28-Mar-17 10:33:50

Doesn't look like dill. Carrots would be weird. I must ask him where it came from!

shovetheholly Tue 28-Mar-17 12:00:38

Could it be artemesia of some kind?

BathshebaDarkstone Tue 28-Mar-17 14:55:16

It just appeared, so I don't think it can be carrots!

I'll ask him about artemesia later, he's asleep and I'm going to pick up the DC.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

BathshebaDarkstone Tue 28-Mar-17 16:38:58

He's going to look up artemesia.

JeffreySadsacIsUnwell Thu 30-Mar-17 10:21:30

If I didn't know what a random plant that had just appeared in my garden was, I don't think I'd try to find out by eating it!! :shock:

If it's artemisia, he's either very lucky and got the tarragon variety, or he's unlucky and got one of the many poisonous varieties (wormwood, absinthe artemisia, etc)... Has he been hallucinating much since? grin

BathshebaDarkstone Thu 30-Mar-17 10:25:48

Not as far as I can tell! grin That's why he tasted it and not me! grin

EBearhug Fri 31-Mar-17 03:20:43

I agree it''s more like carrot than dill. Could be chervil? Or possibly not chervil, because it's very late and I can't quite think. Anyway, there are lots of herbs in the apiaceae family (umbelliferae as was, which is a much better name <stern look at taxonomists>), and I think it's one of them. A good herbal should help you identify it.

Hemlock and water dropwort are also in that family and deadly poisonous, so it's obviously not those, but I am not sure it's wise to eat unidentified plants, just in case. It's not all parsley and carrot and dill...

BathshebaDarkstone Fri 31-Mar-17 06:34:59

We know what hemlock and water dropwort look like, thank goodness! grin

I agree, which is why I didn't taste it. I can't tell a 62yo what to do though! grin

ChuckDaffodils Fri 31-Mar-17 07:19:11

Is there just one? Or many? If many, I'd pull up one and see what the root is/smells like. Definitely looks like a stray carrot seed has germinated to me.

BathshebaDarkstone Fri 31-Mar-17 07:47:21

Thanks Chuck, I'll suggest pulling one up when he comes home. grin

BathshebaDarkstone Fri 31-Mar-17 21:06:54

Having watched Jamie at Home, it's chervil. It might have been in the Shake and Rake he used. star EBearhug! grin

Mystery solved! grin

EBearhug Sat 01-Apr-17 02:09:22

Yay! A gold star! I have achieved something thus week!

BathshebaDarkstone Sat 01-Apr-17 05:44:04

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now