Talk

Advanced search

Plant suggestions for a steep slope with a tendency to become overgrown

(10 Posts)
anotherdayanothersquabble Mon 27-Mar-17 19:53:06

We have moved to a house where the garden has long been neglected. Across the road, we have a steep slope which was completely overgrown. It's difficult to dig and has lots of ivy, brambles and weeds which have been cut back but many roots remain. I want to plant something that will compete with the weeds. There are some beautiful Acacia trees on the slope and our lounge looks out on to it. I don't want it to look to municipal so not keen on cotoneaster etc. The area is about 100m by 30m steep slope and a further 30m slightly flatter at the top.

It's one of many projects in the garden so low maintenance is key.

MrsBertBibby Mon 27-Mar-17 19:58:14

Does it get much sun, or is it shady?

We have a shady slope, which we put some vinca minor on. They are spreading nicely. But we did give it a good weeding first.

We also added some primrose from elsewhere in the lawn, which are lovely.

anotherdayanothersquabble Mon 27-Mar-17 20:58:20

Its quite shaded by the trees... vinca minor is my back up. I think its quite pretty. I was thinking of maybe mixing it up with some other plants...

How long have your vinca been in, how much have they spread and how far apart did you put them? I might have to resort to weed control membrane....

MrsBertBibby Mon 27-Mar-17 21:23:31

Our space is much smaller! We put them in maybe last May, they have really taken off this spring, now easily 3 times the original diameter. And you can see them rooting in. One white and 2 purple.

Perhaps your best bet would be to do a section at a time? And start on cuttings and seeds now, or you'll be spending a fortune!

anotherdayanothersquabble Mon 27-Mar-17 21:27:03

The cost is terrifying, but then so is my current attempts to cling onto the slope and attack the brambles!

MrsBertBibby Mon 27-Mar-17 21:44:40

I don't think there's any solution but digging for brambles, though. If you strim and plant, the brambles will cover everything in a matter of weeks. She said with feeling!

The only other option is a shit ton of glyphosate.

prettywhiteguitar Mon 27-Mar-17 22:01:58

How about brunnera 'jack frost', heuchera the vigorous tall dark red one, Latium 'pink pewter', ferns, grasses?

prettywhiteguitar Mon 27-Mar-17 22:03:45

Hoe regularly to keep the brambles down, as they are tender you can bash them with the hoe and damage them. Them more you dig out the better though, they will just grow through or under membrane

shovetheholly Tue 28-Mar-17 08:35:48

Have a look at this, but particularly at the picture and the suggestion of using matting. The picture is the kind of effect I'd go for - something where you have plant 'repeats' to create a kind of mosaic texture.

www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=834

One thing that I think might do well - possibly rather TOO well for your liking- is comfrey - it's pretty invasive, though. Other things - Vancouveria hexandra, alchemilla, tiarellas, pulmonarias, shade geraniums, epimediums. Woodruff is a brilliant ground cover for shade.

aircooled Wed 29-Mar-17 12:58:25

Lonicera pileata, an evergreen shrubby honeysuckle, would help to cover the bank by crowding out the brambles. It's tough but attractive, spreads by layering its shoots as it grows and in my garden gives good cover for nesting and hibernating hedgehogs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now