Talk

Advanced search

Help me with my border!

(7 Posts)
Greenfingeredfun Mon 27-Mar-17 15:18:01

You can see in the pictures I'm setting out the shape of our border with rope, in the hope it will fit in with the border in front of the shed.. what do you think? Any ideas how to set it out? I take it larger plants in front of the trees/bushes then getting smaller nearer the front. It's sunny until early evening in that part of our garden. Any ideas/help hugely appreciated brewflowers

JT05 Mon 27-Mar-17 16:19:25

I'd prune back the bushes. They look like buddlia, forsythia and Red Robin. They could all be prune now, forsythia after flowering. They will take moisture and nutrients from the flower bed, so dig in lots of compost before planting.
I would look to plant low growing perennials, such as cranesbill geraniums, hucera, lavender ,asters etc. They are quite tough and will withstand children!

JT05 Mon 27-Mar-17 16:20:22

Oh should have added Hebes to the list.

Greenfingeredfun Mon 27-Mar-17 16:26:59

That's really helpful thank you! Yes my dh did say please don't waste money on pretty flowers that the children will destroy! They're 7 and 10 now so unlikely to trample over the flowers but can't guarantee a rogue football won't make it in there! grin

user1490957053 Sat 01-Apr-17 13:25:09

I'de been working on my border for years, but it didnt look nice enough, until I changed my fence, now the picture is complete. If anyone is interested I could share my experience.

user1490957053 Tue 04-Apr-17 19:09:12

By the way these are the guys that helped me make my garden beautiful and also childproof junkandgardening.co.uk/

shovetheholly Wed 05-Apr-17 08:46:30

Is it partially shaded for part of the day? What's your soil like - clay? Sand?

I would maybe get a climber up on that fence to give you a bit of a green backdrop without taking up too much space.

Then plant things that are good for the conditions. Your space is limited, so you really want to choose plants carefully to ensure that you get flowers all year round!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now