Talk

Advanced search

What plant is this please?

(12 Posts)
FreshsatsumaforDd Mon 27-Mar-17 14:47:46

Hello knowledgeable gardeners.smile

I am clearing an overgrown area where previously there was an overgrown leylandii hedge and a trampoline. I have found aquilegia, foxgloves, violets and this plant. As well as ivy, dandelions and other unwanted weeds.

There are a number of them, quite advanced and I am wondering whether they are something to keep, or should they be cleared. Any help in identifying would be much appreciated.

prettywhiteguitar Mon 27-Mar-17 14:49:47

A geum? Wait for it to flower 🌺

FreshsatsumaforDd Mon 27-Mar-17 14:51:56

Ooh. That could be exciting...thank you.

FreshsatsumaforDd Mon 27-Mar-17 19:24:56

Any other possibilities? Or suggestions?

eddielizzard Mon 27-Mar-17 19:28:01

it could be hollyhock. definitely wait and see.

Liara Mon 27-Mar-17 19:56:15

Look like heuchera leaves to me. There is one with plain leaves like that and red flowers, really lovely!

FreshsatsumaforDd Mon 27-Mar-17 20:14:10

I don't think that it is a hollyhock as I have them in other parts of the garden and these leaves are a different texture, thinner and smoother somehow and it is growing in a wider clump somehow. But thanks very much for the suggestion.

Heuchera, hmm, I'll investigate as we did have one with a darker reddish leaf years ago.

Perhaps the leaves seem so soft or thin because the plants have been deprived of light.....I'd really like it be something worth keeping.

Thanks, I'll research these suggestions.

prettywhiteguitar Mon 27-Mar-17 20:24:46

Ooh soft and thin you say ? I'm seconding heuchera. Geum are hairy and tough I think

GlobalTechIndustries Mon 27-Mar-17 20:37:21

It could be early stages of nettles or general weeds but not sure for certain.

FreshsatsumaforDd Mon 27-Mar-17 21:38:55

Not nettles, we have them further down the garden as well!

It does look a lot like images of Heuchera, so for now it can stay.

Thanks very much everyone.smile

shovetheholly Tue 28-Mar-17 12:19:18

It's really hard to tell from a photo, but I wonder if that is tellima. Same family as heuchera, the Saxifragaceae.

I could be wrong!!

FreshsatsumaforDd Tue 28-Mar-17 16:26:05

Gosh, the leaves look very similar to tellima! I have never heard of this plant, so would never have been able to search for it!!

I think that it must be some sort of perennial, in contrast to a weed. There are four or five plants, all close to each other and quite different from any others anywhere in the garden.

I'm going to move a couple to the new bedding area and watch the remainder to see what develops. I think that it could well be the tellima.

Thanks again to everyone.flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now