Talk

Advanced search

Climbing rose recommendation

(24 Posts)
jelly10 Mon 27-Mar-17 07:41:41

I've just removed a big rambling rose from the corner of my garden which was totally rampant and out of control, and I'd like to replace it with a more manageable climber. The corner is S/SW facing and I'd like it to eventually fan out from the corner along the walls but not come too far forwards ifswim as there is a patio in front. Hope that makes sense!

I want something that will flower for the whole summer and that will grow to a reasonable size but not too vigorous as things have a tendency to take over in my garden! Any suggestions? Thank you!

BarchesterFlowers Mon 27-Mar-17 07:46:53

I have just replaced a couple of very old diseases roses I inherited with roses from David Austin here, not cheap but I planted some at my old house in 2008 and they were fantastic plants.

AstrantiaMajor Mon 27-Mar-17 10:24:23

A lot depends on the colour you want.Graham Thomas is very reliable, deep Yellow. It is trouble free and easy to train. I don't think you can go,wrong with David Austin Roses.

jelly10 Mon 27-Mar-17 10:55:06

Thank you smile. Sounds like David Austin are a good choice. I like creams or pinks, Claire Austin looks nice, does anyone have any experience of that one? Or others which are good in those colours?

spydie Mon 27-Mar-17 11:14:06

I have a David Austin generous gardener (I think that's what it's called hmm), which is pale pink and repeat flowers so looks lovely all summer.

PrettyGoodLife Mon 27-Mar-17 11:18:17

I love roses! I have a gorgeous one called 'Handel' that is ivory with deep pink/red edges and a white rose called 'white cockcade' also did well at my two previous houses. Enoy!

NoParticularPattern Mon 27-Mar-17 12:20:42

I've just put a lovely pink, fragrant one in called Zepherine Drouhin. We used to have it all over the front of the house when we were little and so I've just gone for the same again. Bonus points for being thornless!

NoParticularPattern Mon 27-Mar-17 12:23:05

Zephirine not Zepherine! Bloody phone!

JT05 Mon 27-Mar-17 12:43:28

I have just bought Claire Austin I chose it because of the colour, it has a strong scent, it repeat flowers and it has few thorns.
I'm really looking forward to the summer and its blooms.

Trethew Mon 27-Mar-17 13:27:30

Another vote for Claire Austin. Fabulous scent and very vigorous (but not out of control like a rambler) and repeats reliably all summer.
Only downside is that the blooms are very full and heavy and can become waterlogged and spoil during a rainy spell. No matter - just cut them off - there are always plenty more to come.

Bathsheba is my new favourite. Scent to die for, and it doesn't get big
The David Austin website has a really useful filter system so you can select for colour/size/site etc.

AstrantiaMajor Mon 27-Mar-17 17:12:48

I have a cream David Austin called Tranquility. It is very reliable.

Itsjustaphase84 Fri 31-Mar-17 22:48:19

This might be a daft question but do rose climbers need frames to help climb or do they hook themselves into concrete /brick? I'm looking for rose climber for South facing breezeblock outhouse. Thank you

Trethew Fri 31-Mar-17 23:31:11

A climbing rose needs to be tied to domething, not necessarily a frame but wires or trellis will do. In time they will make a stiff self-supporting network of branches with flowering side shoots.

Itsjustaphase84 Sat 01-Apr-17 10:12:24

Thanks, I vaguely remember a Virginia creeper can damage brickwork and that's what I want to avoid.

BarchesterFlowers Sat 01-Apr-17 10:13:51

I have an obelisk type thing Trethew in my front garden but have eyes and wire on some outbuildings.

Mermaidinthesea Sat 01-Apr-17 10:43:54

My absolute favourites are David Austin and they are Gertrude Jekyll and crown princess margereta as they are not too tall if pruned.
I have another one I love too not DA called Bridge of Sighs but it's very vigourous and prickly.

OdinsLoveChild Sat 01-Apr-17 10:50:18

I like David Austins A Shropshire Lad.

www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/a-shropshire-lad-climbing-rose

Its lovely.

NEmum Sat 01-Apr-17 11:01:31

We also have The Generous Gardener, beautiful flowers & a good climber. It was a wedding gift (& one of my favourite gifts!)

jelly10 Sat 01-Apr-17 15:58:59

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions - so many lovely roses! It's so hard to choose so I decided to go to the garden centre with a short list and let fate decide depending on what they had there...and they didn't have a single David Austin climbing rose!! Arrgghh so now I'm going to have to make a choice after all and order online instead confused

AstrantiaMajor Sat 01-Apr-17 16:15:50

Our garden centre does not have many just yet. After Easter they said there will be more in.

Enb76 Tue 04-Apr-17 13:08:06

I have a David Austin Maigold for my climber - very fragrant, repeat flowering after first flush. It's very hardy and pretty disease free which is a bonus but it is a little thorny. I absolutely love it

www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/maigold

ClaudiaNaughton Tue 04-Apr-17 13:12:34

Do you have to be careful about planting roses where another has been? David Austin could advise.

jelly10 Tue 04-Apr-17 21:33:27

Thank you so much for that tip Claudia - I've done some googling and it looks like you do need to take care when replanting a rose in the same spot. I had no idea - thank you

SeaRabbit Wed 05-Apr-17 08:24:53

I read recently that they have decided it's not a disease that causes roses to fail to thrive where other ones have been, but exhausted soil, as roses are so greedy. So you may be ok if you bung in lots and lots of well-rotted manure, rather than replacing all the soil.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now