Talk

Advanced search

Please could you recommend me some perennial plants

(9 Posts)
iwouldgoouttonight Sun 26-Mar-17 17:07:42

I've grown bedding plants each year from seed and I've decided that I can't be bothered with all the faff any more. So I'd like some plants that come back and flower each year with minimal effort from me.

I have quite a few shrubs that have grown quite big - wiegela, ceanothus, buddleia, broom, azalea, which all flower, although it doesn't seem for very long. And things like laurel, red robin and ferns which don't flower.

So I'm looking for suggestions for plants to full the gaps that will have lovely flowers, ideally for a long time! And will come back each year. The garden doesn't get a lot of sun unfortunately as a lot of the neighbours have trees.

JT05 Sun 26-Mar-17 18:07:11

Campanulas come in a variety of types, large, small and ranging from white to deep purple.
Asters and Shantel Daisy's are pretty. Also, Day Lilies, which come in a variety of colours.

shovetheholly Sun 26-Mar-17 19:37:49

You need some shade-loving hardy perennials! Have a look at the shade thread, but obvious suggestions are things like brunnera, pulmonaria, shade-loving hardy geraniums, dicentra, hardy anemones, foxgloves, hellebores, persicarias, and all kinds of primula (beesiana, bulleyana, japonica)

Palomb Sun 26-Mar-17 20:44:15

If your garden is shady then have a look at hellebores and ferns.

Enb76 Mon 27-Mar-17 09:44:04

I have a fairly shady garden. My perennials are: hardy geraniums, thalictrum delavayi, hostas, gallium odorata, foxgloves, japanese anemone (but nightmare if you don't want it in a certain place anymore, once you've got it, you've got it for life!), astilbe, and lammiums. There are more things in the garden but those do particularly well in the shade I have.

iwouldgoouttonight Mon 27-Mar-17 13:25:22

Lots of ideas, thank you. I'll look them up and see which ones look like they'll fit into the spaces i have.

Thanks for the recommendations.

CountessYgritte Mon 27-Mar-17 13:33:00

I very quickly read your thread title.

And wondered what perennial pants were!grin

bobs123 Mon 27-Mar-17 13:35:15

Campanula - portenschlagiana or poschaskiana (sp?) good ground cover, flower a long time and easy to pull our when tatty as grows back fast. Also heucheras. Hostas. Epimediums. Knautia Macedonia can cope with shade and flowers all summer but needs staking (easy from seed)

iwouldgoouttonight Mon 27-Mar-17 15:07:46

CountessYgritte pants you can wear year after year. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now