We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bind weed - it's hopeless isn't it ?

(15 Posts)
didireallysaythat Sun 26-Mar-17 09:23:20

It's agent orange or nothing ?

MrsBertBibby Sun 26-Mar-17 09:35:39

There are lots of clever ideas about growing them into a pot, and then spraying roundup into the pot.

I dug out masses last year. Braced for its return any day now.

FreeButtonBee Sun 26-Mar-17 10:08:15

I was relentless last year in digging it out. No signs yet this year but I am on my guard. I think I read that if you get it early in the season and weed out every little seedling then it doesn't get enough strength to really grow. I was also trialling the 'let one long bit grow then spray it' but my mum helpfully weeded my trial bit out for me hmm

ApplesTheHare Sun 26-Mar-17 10:15:03

We had our old house for 4 years and the front garden was over-run when we moved in. 4 years of weeding out every single piece we saw helped a lot, and it was nearly gone by the time we left. Sounds long but it was much more under control even after the first year, so just keep digging it out.

stupidoctopus Sun 26-Mar-17 10:16:35

I found Weedol good at almost 'training' it back. It sounds weird to say but I started spraying it onto the leaves where it grew up a fence and on a laurel a few years ago. It still grows there but not as rampant as it was before and is easily manageable.
Same in the privet on the other side of the garden.
It might just be a case of being more on top of the problem though.

SlipperyJack Sun 26-Mar-17 10:18:08

I got rid of mine by letting it grow, then bundling the tendrils into a plastic bag and spraying with glyphosate. No drift onto neighbouring plants. It worked a treat!

shovetheholly Sun 26-Mar-17 12:41:13

I just pounce on it the moment it appears and dig it back to the roots. The key with this plant is not to let it get so much as a toe-hold.

didireallysaythat Sun 26-Mar-17 15:29:10

Last summer was the first time we had it (been in the house 4 years this summer) but it appeared at the back of the garden where my nice 3 year old hornbeam hedge is (open fields behind). I only noticed it towards the end of summer but last weekend i spotted it coming up everywhere (the weekend before there were no signs and i was feeling rather smug!).

I'll continue digging it up but around the hedge it's not really practical. If i were to spray is it a waste of time to try this time of year or can i spray spring and summer ? I'd like to try and weaken it now while i can still see the hedge !

SlipperyJack Mon 27-Mar-17 09:27:56

Weedkiller works best when the plant is actively growing, so I'd have a crack at it now.

Enb76 Mon 27-Mar-17 09:30:29

I gathered it all into a plastic bag and sprayed and it hasn't come up this year (yet!) at least on one side of the garden - I'm tackling the other side this year.

Mermaidinthesea Fri 31-Mar-17 23:04:57

Not hopeless no, I live in a massive bindweed area and I've learnt not to bother digging them up anymore.
If you constantly deprive them of sunlight they will die so constantly go round the garden pulling them up.
After a few years they seem to give up. I can't possibly dig them up as they grow into the roots of existing mature plants.
I'm super vigilant and the bindweed has become less year after year.
I'll go round every couple of days checking this time of year.

didireallysaythat Sat 01-Apr-17 15:38:44

Maybe there's hope for me yet.... I've just denettled the hedge and pull out all the bind weed I saw. I know it will be back but if i can just keep on top of it we won't have to move county....

Wh0Kn0wsWhereTheTimeGoes Sat 01-Apr-17 16:57:16

Yes, just keep pulling it up whenever you see it. I tend to wait till it's a bit stronger as it's easier to pull out without snapping at the roots. It's quite satisfying pulling reams of it out from other plants.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Sat 01-Apr-17 16:59:58

Boiling water works on patios/paving if you're consistent. I managed to rid it from the beds just by pulling as much as possible each & everytime it reappeared. 'Tis a bitch though.

Mermaidinthesea123 Tue 04-Apr-17 18:55:02

i started off with millions of bindweeds 12 years ago and so far this year (I was weeding at the weekend) I have found only two. All those years of pulling the stuff up has paid off.
I'm sure it would all come back with a vengeance if I was confined to bed for 6 months :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now