Talk

Advanced search

Houseplants for a dark house with little natural light?

(12 Posts)
Pottedplants Sun 26-Mar-17 02:15:47

I'm hoping some of the gardners here can help me. I live in an east facing house and coupled with our neighbour's extension, results in little light coming into the house. This isn't good for houseplants but I still want some!

Lily plants grow successfully but little else. I currently buy plants and replace every two months. Obviously this is quite expensive. I love ferns but they just don't last. Even the hardy spider plant is struggling.

I'm particularly looking for a large volume leaved plant (that isn't ficus as they in particular hate the light). I don't really want another yucca as they aren't voluminous enough. Can anybody recommend anything?

Thank you!

JT05 Sun 26-Mar-17 08:31:21

Aspidistra, grow in low light. They were popular with the Victorians, they grew them in the heavily curtained rooms.
Some palms also like low light, the internet should throw up some species.
It must be dark for the spider plant to die! I had one that languished in the garage every winter, only to be brought out in the summer. I eventually gave to a kinder home! 😊

picklemepopcorn Sun 26-Mar-17 08:49:03

There is a plant I think called castor oil plant? I was going to suggest aspidistra.

Pottedplants Sun 26-Mar-17 11:13:19

I had the castor oil plant. It was recommended by the garden centre as indestructible. It died!

Yddraigoldragon Sun 26-Mar-17 11:21:22

Draecena Janet Craig is good in low light levels. Spiky dark leaves and comes in sizes from 'small pot' to 'take over the whole room'

picklemepopcorn Sun 26-Mar-17 13:27:48

I've rotated plants before now. Had two, one on a decent window ledge and one in the spot I wanted it. They each got a turn in the light!

sunnyhills Sun 26-Mar-17 18:21:58

There was a bit on Gardeners Question Time Radio 4 today about plants for offices and mention was made of a plant that did well in v little light .
I didn't catch the name but I guess you could listen - it was well in to the programme ,more towards the end I think .

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08jf2j9

picklemepopcorn Sun 26-Mar-17 19:14:42

Ivy of course. You can get it trained to a shape on a wire frame.

Pottedplants Sun 26-Mar-17 19:46:03

I really dislike ivy. It just looks old and dusty to me. I like more 'statement plants' if that makes sense?

Some of the problem is I'm not a fan of the dark green plants although they are the ones that grow without light. I crave vibrant green, bushy, thriving plants :-(

picklemepopcorn Sun 26-Mar-17 20:44:56

What about a UV lamp? Let your plant sunbathe occasionally?

Qwebec Wed 29-Mar-17 00:23:20

Epipremnum aureum
Sansevieria
fake bamboo Dracaena sanderiana

Less than ideal conditions make watering more tricky, it's easy to go overboard.

sunnyhills Wed 29-Mar-17 08:04:12

Spathiphyllum wallisii (peace lily),
Philodendron scandens (sweetheart plant) and
Dracaena marginata (Madagascan dragon tree).

mother-in-laws tongue (Sansevieria trifasciata)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now