Talk

Advanced search

Plants for shady flowerbed

(12 Posts)
kelper Sat 25-Mar-17 22:32:33

Hi, could I get some advice please?
One side of my garden gets no sun at all, and as a consequence all I seem to get growing is moss and odd weeds.
I dug it all over today, and want to plant flowers that don't mind no direct sunlight, but might look pretty and have some scent (and also aren't poisonous to dogs or 9 year olds!
Any sun that might have filtered through is now blocked totally by my neighbours massive bamboo plant, and also a weird tree that looks like it has cannabis leaves (And covers my bloody garden with these leaves 🙄) so these plants need to be fairly hardy i guess?
All ideas gratefully received

Deux Sat 25-Mar-17 22:43:01

OK. I have a shady bed that gets no direct sun. This is what grows in there and grows well. Neighbours have fir trees on the other side of the fence.

Holly, magnolia, fatsia japonica, mahonia, ferns, heuchera. The heuchera are lovely and you get lots of varieties going from dark purple leaves to pale russet. Also lilac which grows through from next door. Oh and a pear tree too.

I'll be checking back for other suggestions too as I'd love some more flowering plants in mine.

Afishcalledchips Sat 25-Mar-17 22:55:50

There's a really useful thread here about shade loving plans smile

kelper Sun 26-Mar-17 00:41:27

Ooo, thank you both, I didn't think to search for a thread :-/
Not sure the 9 year old or the dog will appreciate holly 😂
I love lilac, hadn't thought of something like that.
Ill go and trawl the other thread, thank you smile

kelper Sun 26-Mar-17 00:42:45

Ooo, rhubarb is suggested. I LOVE rhubarb!!

bobs123 Sun 26-Mar-17 00:47:42

Some geraniums like phaeum

snotato Sun 26-Mar-17 00:53:10

Can't lose this thread so thought I'd say hello smile
I also have a pretty permanently shaded bit I want to know what to plant there

Pottedplants Sun 26-Mar-17 02:07:20

I'm in the same boat and sadly in the same situation with indoor plants. The house has very poor natural light (east facing and not helped by neighbour's extension). The only plants that grow are lily's but I am tired of them and particularly want large house plants (but not yucca's as I find they discolour due to the lack of light and aren't 'full' enough). If anybody knows I'd be so grateful for your advice.

lasttimeround Sun 26-Mar-17 09:37:26

Astilbe? That's what I'm trying next for dark hole at bottom of garden. My problem is poison. Very disabled dd likes to have a taste and I want her able to be in garden without constant supervision. Most lilies are poisonous. As is rhubarb btw in case poison is a v strict rules for you too.
Ferns I'd love but the ones I have got get sunburned in that area.
Also maybe dogwood if poison isn't an issue. Do better in shade.

Afishcalledchips Tue 28-Mar-17 07:45:46

Hardy geraniums are good for filling space, but they vanish in the winter.

I've put some wild garlic in a shady spot and it loves it there, if you like the taste and smell of that?

Afishcalledchips Tue 28-Mar-17 07:48:12

potted We've had a spider plant in a fairly shady spot for ages, and it's still alive.

Mermaidinthesea Fri 31-Mar-17 22:58:09

I have a whole bed in total shade about 15 feet long, at the end I grow lots of lovely ferns with white foxgloves growing up amongst them which looks amazing, they all self seed so I don't buy new ones everyday.
Colourful promroses which are in flower now and look incredible.
Bergenia in flower right now.
Euphorbias look great especially the two toned leaved ones and those with bright lime green flowers.
Euonymous shrubs which can be clipped into different shapes.
I have tons of hellebores and cut all the leaves off in December - the flowers then go for about 6 months, all winter and spring.
monkshood is happy to grow in shade but is deadly poisonous so if you have kids then no.
Lots of aquilegia, they look wonderful in spring.
Certain types of perennial geranium grow in shade but you'll have to look up which ones as I've forgotten and they always look nice.
Camellias love shade but only if you are on clay or acid soil, also rhodedenrons and azaleas, I tend to get the miniature varieties as the others grow much to big for an average garden.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now