Talk

Advanced search

Complete gardening novice- need help

(12 Posts)
user1472582572 Fri 24-Mar-17 23:57:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GingerKitCat Sat 25-Mar-17 00:22:26

Do you have any photos? Which direction does the garden face and whereabouts in the country are you?

shovetheholly Sat 25-Mar-17 07:46:49

The great thing about gardening is that you can get fab results with patience and very little money. You need to put in regular sessions of work and be prepared to grow from seed/cuttings and invest in a compost bin!!

user1472582572 Sat 25-Mar-17 11:47:57

AstrantiaMajor Sat 25-Mar-17 13:44:26

This is is what I would do
Library and charity shops for gardening books
Pinterest to find out what style of garden you like.
Start of very small. Find a piece of your garden about 1 metre square and start with that.
Dig it over a bit and plant seeds that really don't care about conditions.
£1 shop and wilko have seeds and summer bulbs that are good value for money.
Play with that little area first. Remember to keep it watered to begin with.

Depending where you are in the country you can plant seeds direct into the ground just after Easter.

Most important to find something you like before you start spending money,

Quick results with Nasturtiums, Cornflowers, Nigella, Calendula seeds none of which need good soil. When watering use a rose head on the can of hose so that you don't flood the ground and drown the seeds.

JT05 Sat 25-Mar-17 16:18:47

It will soon be school/ church fete time, they usually have a plant stall and they are good places to get cheap plants. Sometimes charity shops have plants and seedlings donated.
Ask friends or relatives for any self seeded plants or divided that they might have.

Chocolateteabag Sat 25-Mar-17 16:22:42

Do you have any free cycle or facebook free groups? You can ask on there if anyone has any extra plants there you can give a home to

But first you'll need to get stuck in digging it over and deciding what you want to have where

Pictures would be good??

user1472582572 Sat 25-Mar-17 16:23:08

user1472582572 Sat 25-Mar-17 16:24:26

user1472582572 Sat 25-Mar-17 16:26:45

JT05 Sat 25-Mar-17 18:18:15

Ok, lots of potential there. I'd note where the sun is at different times of the day and then look on the RHS web site for sun and shade loving plants. This way you will know what to plant where.
You seem to have wall and fence space for climbers, which is good. Seedlings of sweet peas will appear in the garden centres/ shops soon and can be planted against a sunny wall on cheap bean netting. ( from Poundstreacher or similar shops). Plastic pots ( again very cheap )of plants will brighten the concrete. Do you have or can you borrow a mower for the lawn. Tidy grass makes a huge difference to a garden.
I hope you enjoy transforming your garden.

GingerKitCat Sun 26-Mar-17 11:59:15

Sorry I didn't really answer your question!

Lots of good advice here and you have a lovely space smile

Work out how you want to use the back garden: table and chairs, shed, play equipment etc and you can start to 'zone' it.

A nice tall planter (check out B&M if you have one) to the right of the front door would look good.

Wilko is great for gardening kit. Check out their yellow functional range of tools.

I'm a bit clueless about the front garden. I feel like you could do with reshaping the lawn to give it softer, curving edges and introducing some beds for shrubs. I'm not quite sure how to achieve this with the driveway as it is. Hopefully someone can advise grin

In any case just keep posting on here for help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now