Talk

Advanced search

Are there any gardeners in Oz around? (Long shot I know!) or anyone with general advice?

(14 Posts)
CaptainWarbeck Fri 24-Mar-17 04:18:45

I'm in Perth, Oz and about to put in my winter veg. I can't for the life of me find a decent forum in Australia to ask where to start as I'm fairly new to this. It's going to be highs during the day over 'winter' of 15-25C and lows at night down to 0C. Plenty of sun, bit of rain.

I want to start some root veg as my summer crops of aubergines, tomatoes and chillis are giving up the ghost so looking for any general advice on growing potatoes, caulis, peas and winter herbs. Or anything else that's easy to grow in a metre by metre raised bed.

I've also got two nice hanging baskets by our front door that I'd like to fill with some sort of cascading flowers, they're completely shaded though. Is this going to be impossible?

sixandoot Fri 24-Mar-17 04:58:03

The Diggers Club used to have good advice that you could access even if not buying seeds from them.

nhamilton Fri 24-Mar-17 05:23:59

We like Gardenate www.gardenate.com/

At the moment (Canberra), we're finishing up the courgettes and tomatoes, have runner beans coming through and planted shallots, radishes, beets, spinach and rocket.

In Canberra winters (colder than Perth but sunny), we find brasicas (broccoli, cauliflower), leeks and carrots do well. And garlic, plant shortest day in winter (late June) and harvest the longest day in summer (late Dec)

crabb Fri 24-Mar-17 05:35:27

I'm the wrong person to ask - always too lazy late to get my winter vegs in, keep on dragging out the tomatoes and zucchini hoping for the last gasp.
I'm just outside Canberra, nhamilton, and interestingly saw an ad today on our local FB page suggesting now was the time to plant garlic for the best crop.
How about:
liveability.com.au/liveabilityguides/liveabilty-vegetable-fruit-planting-calender/#perth
www.abc.net.au/gardening/vegieguide/

crabb Fri 24-Mar-17 06:13:12

Ooh, I like that Gardenate site - thanks nhamilton!

CaptainWarbeck Fri 24-Mar-17 08:38:37

Thanks for the links, I've checked them all out. The liveability one is really good!

Six doh - I'm a member of the diggers club blush I just find it confusing when Australia is so huge with such diverse climates in different cities. But I'll go hunt through their site for Perth-related info.

I reeeeeally want to grow celeriac as I love it and never see it in the shops here. Assumed it was a winter root veg but it's not in any planting guides I can see.

crabb Fri 24-Mar-17 09:40:29

It's not in the shops all year round - only appears seasonally in my experience. I love it too!

crabb Fri 24-Mar-17 09:42:01

www.gardenate.com/plant/Celeriac?zone=2

crabb Fri 24-Mar-17 09:43:00

Looks like you're too late fir this year sad

CaptainWarbeck Fri 24-Mar-17 09:45:04

Celeriac is a weird one - it looks like the seedlings will be growing through summer then?! And it says very sensitive to drought so it sounds like it's a right tricky bugger.

CaptainWarbeck Fri 24-Mar-17 09:45:47

Thanks for looking it up crabb

crabb Fri 24-Mar-17 09:51:06

There's also a WA Gardeners group on Facebook.

CaptainWarbeck Fri 24-Mar-17 09:58:37

That's just the kind of thing I was looking for, thank you! I wanted something where people will go 'it's unusually mild for this time of year, better plant xx early' or whatever.

You're a star.

crabb Fri 24-Mar-17 11:20:37

smile. Glad to help! Australia is a vast place with so many different climate zones. Local knowledge is what you need. I didn't know Perth got down to zero! I've never lived there. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now