Talk

Advanced search

Can my monkey puzzle be saved??

(11 Posts)
SleepForTheWeek Thu 23-Mar-17 21:33:58

Anyone know anything about Monkey Puzzle Trees??

I got one from my grandparents last summer and got a lovely little ceramic planter for it. The lady in the garden centre the planter would be fine for the tree but would obviously limit its growth. I sat it on my front doorstep which is semi sheltered.

As the winter came the leaves started turning slightly brown. They are now pretty much all brown and it looks so sorry for itself so I decided to plant it in an open area of my back garden.

Is the damage already done?? Really don't want this wee guy to perish - the fact I got it from my grandparents is really special.

Here's a pic - anything I can do??

MikeUniformMike Thu 23-Mar-17 21:43:22

Have a look at the RHS website
mygarden.rhs.org.uk/forums/t/1751.aspx
www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/1456/Araucaria-araucana/Details

SleepForTheWeek Thu 23-Mar-17 21:54:29

This hasn't filled me with hope sad

MikeUniformMike Thu 23-Mar-17 22:19:38

I think it's a tree that grows on a hillside so might like well drained soil. I would do some homework (RHS site, etc) and get another tree.
They're not cheap.
However, as a little glimmer of hope, it is quite difficult to kill a tree so you might be able to dig it out, drain the soil and wait to see if it pulls through.

SleepForTheWeek Thu 23-Mar-17 23:00:55

Dig it out from where I've planted it? Not sure where else I could put it. My garden is on a bit of a slip and this is at the top so hopefully that will help??

Shylo Thu 23-Mar-17 23:11:34

The tree likes well drained soil so where it is now is definitely too wet .... so if it isn't dead yet it soon will be .....

I'd buy some good soil and repot it and put it in a fully sheltered spot (not back in the doorstep, which it clearly hated) and see what happens

Good luck OP

SleepForTheWeek Thu 23-Mar-17 23:54:43

Thanks Shylo - I had just watered it which is why there's loads of water lying around it.

I think I'll buy a bigger pot with drainage holes (the planter didn't have any) but I'm not sure where to put it...

SleepForTheWeek Thu 23-Mar-17 23:55:21

It's been about 2 weeks since I replanted it - when would there's be signs of improvement (if there was going to be any??)

Trethew Fri 24-Mar-17 10:52:49

RIP

SleepForTheWeek Fri 24-Mar-17 12:14:30

Bugger

shovetheholly Fri 24-Mar-17 13:16:59

<hugs for you>

It's horrible when something you just love dies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now