Talk

Advanced search

Clematis for privacy? Or something else?

(6 Posts)
Eeffy Mon 20-Mar-17 19:09:13

I have what i think is privat that is growing like a topper to 4ft brick wall, intertwined in mesh with wooden supports. Unfortunately it has grown up behind the mesh and the force of it has pushed the wooden supports away from the wall. It looks scruffy and top heavy but is giving privacy.

I want to tidy it up and resecure the posts to the wall but this will require cutting it right back, right to the root.

Would a vigorous clematis grow quick enough to act as a replacement t for this year? It's about 4m long and 2 feet high?

Could i keep the clematis in a big pot?

Alternatively, would the privat survive that kind of hacking? How quickly would it grow back?

Any other suggestions?

Liara Mon 20-Mar-17 20:58:13

I don't think a clematis would grow big enough to provide privacy this year, particularly if it was in a pot.

If you want coverage mainly for this year, how about an annual climber? Something like morning glory, or black-eyed susan. You could put a few along the length and they would definitely cover it in the season.

Liara Mon 20-Mar-17 21:00:06

Sweet peas are another possibility

hollyisalovelyname Mon 20-Mar-17 21:05:15

Solanum - potato plant -,it comes in white or purple. Vigorous growing.

shovetheholly Tue 21-Mar-17 08:28:28

I am a bit confused. Why do you need the supports and mesh? I assume they're not supporting the wall? Privet is self-supporting, so it should act as a hedge on its own. It needs regular cutting, but it can generally be tamed with regular use of a hedge trimmer.

Eeffy Tue 21-Mar-17 20:24:44

It's been cut in such a way that it's all viney at the bottom with bare branches and the hedge bit on top, so very top heavy if that makes sense? Not sure if not it actually is privet as it's a bit tendrilly but that's the closest match i can find to the leaves and berries

Morning glory is a nice idea!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now