Talk

Advanced search

What to do with this corner-photo

(20 Posts)
buckeejit Mon 20-Mar-17 18:57:48

Have just cut down some inherited rampant bamboo & diseased forest flame from this corner of back garden along the fence. Was thinking of adding an arbour but would prefer greenery.

What would you do? My other option is to build a corner raised bed from sleepers-we have this in 2 other parts of the garden-if we did this I think I'd add a couple of upright sleepers to use as posts to hang my hammock from. Any other ideas?!

Liara Mon 20-Mar-17 20:52:25

Personally I would put a pretty tree to screen the house behind, unless you can't afford the shade.

Garnethair Mon 20-Mar-17 21:17:55

Agree with trees. I'd put three column flowering cherry trees there

applespearsbears Mon 20-Mar-17 21:29:21

How about some lovely acers?

buckeejit Tue 21-Mar-17 15:45:37

Hmmm, large tree(s) would be nice but because of the slope it would take ages to get them big enough-we wouldn't be able to screen the house that much & theres another house beside-neither really overlooks the garden though.

Perhaps I could put a tree into a raised bed to lift it up a bit & add some other greenery around it?

This is basically the view from the kitchen window so I'd like a quick fix solution-lots of acers round the fence already so definitely an idea there!

shovetheholly Tue 21-Mar-17 18:58:52

I would just go for a taller tree (but not anything too spreading - what about white betula jacquemontii?) and be a bit patient! The thing with this kind of screening is that you're trying to draw the eye and create an impression of being surrounded by greenery, not to totally cover the house (after all, it's not an unattractive house!). I think people often think of screening as something that totally obscures, when actually it is sometimes more effective to think of the garden as needing a different focal point, and designing around that.

Liara Tue 21-Mar-17 19:53:46

I agree that some acers would look lovely!

buckeejit Tue 21-Mar-17 21:36:45

Thanks-I've been searching for a multi stem silver birch but only found single stem Ones so far-that might be fine in the corner. It's just so suddenly bare, it's really disconcerting!

I also know patience is the key-I'm just really bad at it, particularly in the garden 😬

shovetheholly Wed 22-Mar-17 12:43:36

Have a Google for multistem Betula jacquemontii - several are coming up for me, but not sure where you are so don't just want to post something random the other side of the country!!

The thing about gardening is that, once you accept the patience thing you really start to enjoy watching the changes across the seasons and across the years. It's the big difference, I reckon, between this and interior decorating.

buckeejit Wed 22-Mar-17 13:01:31

True shove - I'm in Northern Ireland so its always more difficult to find what you want here than in the mainland, but will have a go and also with the patience!

Liara Wed 22-Mar-17 20:20:06

I think if you wanted you could put a raised bed with a tree as a centerpiece and some lovely shade planting underneath.

But then again, I have a garden where even in deepest shade you can grow sun lovers (med region) so that may just be my wistful thinking...

Ferguson Wed 22-Mar-17 20:33:54

The border could be MUCH wider - do you really need all that lawn? - but I do like glimpse of a curved border on the extreme right.

A non invasive black bamboo, or tall grasses - stipa gigantea - would hide the other house quite quickly.

buckeejit Fri 24-Mar-17 17:04:51

Thanks-I think that photo gives a skewed perspective actually-this might show better (excuse all the junk!). Will maybe try for a tree or three in a big raised bed-I've made a few bigger borders last year around the place & not sure I have time for more border work!

7Days Fri 24-Mar-17 20:57:46

I would put clematis and roses up along the fence, something for long lasting colour and relatively easy. A raised bed with - can't think of the name - like a huge spider plant with the long straight leaves in a curve. Ring the changes with bulbs or annuals beside it

buckeejit Fri 24-Mar-17 21:33:06

Thanks 7-climbers is a good idea. Is it vinca you're thinking of? I'm using it elsewhere in a shady raised bed, it's good as can climb up and/or hang down.

Best get the joiner booked!

7Days Fri 24-Mar-17 21:50:41

I dont think I mean vinca, that's a periwinkle I think? I mean long blades of leaves, shrub size, coming from a central heart.... sorry not explaining myself well. Ffs 'long straight leaves in a curve' ? Sorry ! I'll shut up now.

buckeejit Fri 24-Mar-17 22:26:08

Hosta? That would be nice-any Ive put at ground level always get eaten!

shovetheholly Sat 25-Mar-17 07:43:51

I wouldn't bother with a raised bed unless there is some reason I've missed why you can't grow direct in the soil. You'll quickly end up spending more on wood and soil to fill it than you'd spend on a larger tree!! It is amazing how much soil you need.

7days- phormium? Cordyline?? Love the idea of climbers on the fence. That would look great.

buckeejit Sat 25-Mar-17 14:09:22

Will do a bit of checking-area has had a load of weed killer to tackle the bamboo so not sure if we could plant for a while-can't dig through it at all at the mo-the roots are crazy tight. I know it takes a load of soil etc to fill-have done 2 similar in last year-waiting for topsoil to fill the last one still.

Found someone at the local market today who can get me multistem silver bitch, huzzah! £30 for small one or bigger more mature for about £100?

Liara Sat 25-Mar-17 19:56:56

I'd go smaller, as they tend to catch up fairly quickly, the bigger ones do tend to languish a little while they are getting established.

Also, might be difficult to dig a big enough hole for the bigger one with all that bamboo root.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now