We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Novice looking for veggie growing help.

(4 Posts)
TitsalinaBumSquash Mon 20-Mar-17 10:02:02

Usually I spend a fortune on baby veggie plants to plant straight into pots and grow bags on our patios as we have no space for a veggie patch.
I was given a tiny green house, one of the PVC ones.
I was also given a load of Aldi seeds for a variety of veggies, they all either say sow indoors or outdoors and then gives a month to do them.
With the indoor Seeds, can I put these in the greenhouse now or is it too cold? What about the outdoors, can they go straight in pots now on the patio or into the greenhouse?
Apologies for what is probably something everyone knows, my mum had the green fingers in our family but she's not with us anymore so I thought I'd ask you lot! smile

The seeds are, turnips, broccoli, carrots, onions, cucumber, tomatoes, a huge variety of chilli, beetroot, cabbages and then mixed lettuces and herbs.

shovetheholly Mon 20-Mar-17 10:32:00

It depends a bit where you are in the country. At this time of year, there is quite an extreme divide between what you can do in Cornwall, and what you can do in the north of Scotland!

Tomatoes and chillis - these need to be sown indoors in most areas, as they need to be kept above 5-8 degrees C. They then go outdoors later, once all danger of frost has passed. You are probably getting a bit late for chillis to be honest, but tomatoes can go on now!

Posting in haste as my internet is very intermittent today!

bookbook Mon 20-Mar-17 11:17:07

I would try to sow all the indoor ones on a kitchen windowsill ,if you can - they will germinate much more easily in a more even, warmer temperature, The outdoor ones I would sow and put in the little pvc greenhouse - they still need a bit of warmth to germinate, but once up, you can the gradually acclimatise them by leaving the door unzipped, then leaving them out - by which time, hopefully the indoor ones have germinated, grown and potted up , ready to go in the now empty greenhouse . Does that make sense? smile

TitsalinaBumSquash Mon 20-Mar-17 11:50:40

Yes it does, thanks! I'm on the South coast and it's windy but the temp is staying about 11 degrees so not too cold. I'll clear a windowsill though. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now