Smallish tree with pale yellow flowers/catkins?

(7 Posts)
Passthebiscuittin Fri 17-Mar-17 20:22:39

Around us (north Oxfordshire/bucks) I've just noticed lots of very pretty trees with pale yellow flowers or perhaps catkins come out in big hedges or the odd garden. Any ideas? I wondered if they were willows - but they are upright rather than weeping . . . I would love to have one in our garden if I could only work out what they were!!

PhilODox Fri 17-Mar-17 20:30:24

Hazels have catkins, they're quite twisty trunks though. Very interesting in a garden.
Forsythia is upright with yellow flowers just bloomed in last week. I love them. They have very reddy-brown stems, quite twiggy, not thick like trunks.

AstrantiaMajor Fri 17-Mar-17 20:42:44

Possibly Mimosa. That is flower at present

LapdanceShoeshine Fri 17-Mar-17 20:46:34

There are other willow varieties too. If you google images of trees with catkins you might spot yours smile

Forsythia is a strong yellow rather than pale.

CheepAndOrm Sat 18-Mar-17 12:02:48

Have you got a picture? We've got something growi in our garden that has yellow flowers and a slightly spotty branch.
It's pretty just now but grows very fast - we had to get the shears to ours weekly - so I'd be interested to know is what it is so i do t accidentally put it back in the garden!

CheepAndOrm Sat 18-Mar-17 12:06:16

Is it a forsythia. Apparently we've got 2 long hedges of them.

Passthebiscuittin Sat 18-Mar-17 13:23:54

Thanks - no forsythia is much brighter! With a bit more time on my hands I had a good search and I think it may be the male catkins on a Salix caprea. I'll try and track one down!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now