Talk

Advanced search

Serious lawn advice needed!

(7 Posts)
nonameinspiration Fri 17-Mar-17 14:50:00

This is my back lawn. This is the worst it's ever looked after the winter though it's always a bit boggy.
Trawling old threads I reckon I need a scarifier and moss killer but when to start? In what order? Then reseed?

Very specific instructions and product advice very gratefully received!

nonameinspiration Mon 20-Mar-17 10:05:02

Anyone?

shovetheholly Mon 20-Mar-17 10:09:31

What is your soil like, roughly where are you in the country, and what way does your garden face?

It looks fairly shaded to me by those fences - but I could be wrong? It may need special shade grass, or another solution (e.g. planted borders and bark chippings?)

nonameinspiration Mon 20-Mar-17 10:36:42

I am in Plymouth. I don't know how to tell about the soil. Yes v shaded. Back garden is north facing I reckon. It's a corner plot but the garden at the front lawn is fine it's survived the winter just a bit weedy.

I don't want to plant anything more than grass as the dog will dig them up. Planning to stop him going on the grass at all when I reseed it though as there are chippings on the other side of the sleepers

shovetheholly Mon 20-Mar-17 10:44:51

Yes, this sounds like the classic difference between a north-facing back garden and a south-facing front one!

I'm afraid that the bad news is that north-facing, shaded conditions and a dog are a very unhealthy combination for a lawn! The thing about shade turf is that it's actually finer and more delicate than sun turf, so it is more easily damaged. It is also really only suitable for partial shade conditions, and even then it may struggle. sad

BenjaminLinus Thu 23-Mar-17 22:15:58

I'd start by digging a small deep hole and see if your lawn is on shallow soil over rubble because I think there is maybe something underneath causing the issues. If it is, replacing the rubble with soil is the only thing that will really help.

If not, to be honest it looks in such a state that I'd probably re-turf it - it's a lot faster and easier than re-seeding although obviously more costly.

If you just want to treat what is already there, I'd wait until the soil temperature increases a bit and grass is growing well - the soil needs to be about 7°C for good growth - so when you start mowing regularly, probably in the next week or two. Then add a good weed, feed & mosskiller - usually 5 days after you cut it, just before it rains is best, then cut it again 5 days later. Rake out any dead moss after a week or tow and after a couple weeks add some sand/soil to bare bits and rake in some grass seed.

Good luck!

nonameinspiration Fri 24-Mar-17 10:07:09

Thanks that's really helpful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now