Talk

Advanced search

Ivy and bed help please

(4 Posts)
se22mother Wed 15-Mar-17 16:06:21

Hello, I have just had s large jvh and couple of old sheds removed from the back of my garden. They had been left by the previous owner. My questions are
1) there obviously was a bed previously which had then been concreted over for large dog she'd. Can I put a bed back ontop of the concrete or would the concrete need to be removed?
2) the large ivy is gone but there are still roots and I suspect it will grow back fast. Is there anything that could kill this ivy root?

Thanks in advance

se22mother Thu 16-Mar-17 14:43:47

Anyone?

JT05 Thu 16-Mar-17 15:21:37

You could put a raised bed on the concrete as long as you allow for drainage.
In one garden we had the base of an old art raid shelter. We put a preformed pond liner on it and built up the surrounding as a rockery. It worked well and there was no danger of falling in!

Ivy !! The only way is to dig up all roots clear away completely, as even small bits root and keep revisiting to pull up as bits appear.

sunnyhills Sat 18-Mar-17 09:00:47

I have a garden which has pretty much abandoned gardens on 3 sides so I'm surrounded by ivy .And sycamore trees .And peace and quiet !

I just keep pulling the ivy up ,cutting it back .I can't get rid of all the roots but I keep it at bay - so don't be too downhearted or overwhelmed .

Raised beds are on my radar for an area which seems to be just rubble and hardcore ,so yes to raised beds on top of concrete .Or even some large planters ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now