Talk

Advanced search

Is this a quince tree?

(7 Posts)
DoubleR Wed 15-Mar-17 14:38:59

I have quite deep borders with large shrubs in some of which are overgrown. Lurking at the back is this tree which I'm thinking might be a quince. It's currently in blossom and there are also some of last year's fruit on the ground. Is it a quince or something else? And in either case do I cut back other plants to give it more room? Is it a desirable tree to have? Can I eat the fruit? Thanks.

JT05 Wed 15-Mar-17 18:41:43

In short, yes. You can prune it after the flowers fade, if you wish.

imsorryiasked Wed 15-Mar-17 18:56:11

Quince trees are usually like an apple tree and the fruit is bigger than a Granny Smith apple.
I think yours is a Japanese Quince. Either way the fruit is edible but it's hideous raw - best used to make jam/jelly.

Pestilentialone Wed 15-Mar-17 19:05:41

Cooked quince is the food of the gods. Like the original apple of eden or lemon turnips as DS1 calls them.

DoubleR Wed 15-Mar-17 21:12:43

Thanks smile so I'll check out some Japanese quince recipes. Would it be around September when the fruit ripens? Do you pick it from the tree or does it have to fall? The only other fruit tree we have is a plum so my experience is limited.

imsorryiasked Thu 16-Mar-17 22:36:41

You can pick or use windfalls.
As the fruit doesn't soften you'll need to hold it and twist gently - if it's ready the stalk should come off the tree.

DoubleR Thu 16-Mar-17 23:31:00

Thank you imsorryiasked, and everyone else, for your help. I'm looking forward to quince jelly next autumn smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now