We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What has done this to my rhubarb?

(8 Posts)
ElasticFirecracker Wed 15-Mar-17 11:44:33

Until last week my rhubarb had been almost certain verse by another plant. When the plant was removed, there were plenty of small shoots with small leaves and I hoped that they would now start to grow.

This is what's now happened. No leaves and it looks like bits of the stalks have been sliced off.

I'm quite rural and so it could be anything.

Help please. What do I do to stop this happening and what can I do to help the rhubarb.

Thank you all

shovetheholly Wed 15-Mar-17 13:52:06

Blimey, I've never seen anything like that. Rhubarb is normally fairly free of pests. It looks like something large has been having a go at the new stalks - probably a hungry mammal, I would guess.

Give it a good feed and it should spring back.

GrassyBottom Wed 15-Mar-17 14:05:29

It looks as though it's been trampled on. Any suspects?
Maybe cover it with a big bucket and a brick on top, it should force quite nicely.

ElasticFirecracker Wed 15-Mar-17 15:36:58

It could be rabbits, but I haven't seen many this year.

But if it's ok to put a pot on top I'll do that.

Thanks for your help.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Wed 15-Mar-17 15:40:10

Op are you my ndn and our pesky husky has trashed your rhubarb too?!
Ours was bountiful last year until the bloody dog jumped the fence into 'foodland' and ate most of it!! Strawberries too!! Have put sun catchera all along the fence now. And if that fails next year its an electric fence. .

bookbook Wed 15-Mar-17 15:41:53

If you force it this year, you will need to let it recover next.
I must admit, I've never seen anything like it. I would personally give it a good feed/mulch and put some chicken wire protection over it .

ElasticFirecracker Thu 16-Mar-17 13:02:37

Thanks again.

Moiradingle** I'm not your Ndn, but it could be the new puppy I suppose. I do think it's something else because last year all my beans were sliced off in this way and there wee little bits of beanstalk left.
Bookbook* I'm not all that bothered about having rhubarb this year, I'd rather save the plant.

I'm wondering whether it could be the very large wood ants we've been having.

shovetheholly Thu 16-Mar-17 13:15:23

I think they would have to be ants the size of terriers to do that!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now