Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can I put a raised bed right up against a house wall for wisteria?

(7 Posts)
Newtssuitcase Wed 15-Mar-17 10:35:06

I have two wisteria plants which DH bought me for my birthday last year. miraculously they seem to have survived the winter despite remaining in their small pots. I'm now keen to get them planted but we are about to have our patio relaid and it will disrupt the area where I wanted them, up against the back wall of the house.

can I put a raised bed directly against the wall of the house if either there is a back to it (i.e there is a sleeper between the soil and the wall of the house) or else if it is low but the soil doesn't go above the DPC line? I was thinking we could just lift the current slabs in that small area, make a raised bed with sleepers and then when the new patio is laid they can just work around the bed.

Will wisteria even be ok in a raised bed like this?

bilbodog Wed 15-Mar-17 11:15:18

Why dont you wait for the new patio to be laid and ask for 2 planting holes to be left and plant them afterwards? In the meantime if you are worried about leaving them too long in the pots you could repot them into larger pots with fresh compost until you are ready to move them.

Newtssuitcase Wed 15-Mar-17 11:23:05

Theyre quite tall (about 2.5 meters) and so I was worried that I need to get them into place before they start sprouting again. If they'll be ok in the pots with tall canes I'm happy to leave them there though.

shovetheholly Wed 15-Mar-17 12:16:55

Yeah, if patio work is imminent, you could wait and have a neater solution without potential damp issues! If the wisteria are pot bound, you could temporarily repot if it will be a little while before work is finished.

bilbodog Wed 15-Mar-17 14:29:00

Wisteria normally need to get well established to flower well - i would repot for now and prune them back if they are very tall - it will encourage stronger, bushier growth and be easier to plant when ready.

BoboChic Wed 15-Mar-17 14:31:09

I recently sold a house that had wistaria climbing up it from raised beds. In the buyer's survey it was pointed out, correctly IMVHO, that the wistaria was harming the property and exacerbating damp and that it should be removed.

terrylene Wed 15-Mar-17 14:32:39

Nothing above 2 bricks down from the damp proof course.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now