We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Garden Help for concrete back yard

(17 Posts)
passthenutella Tue 14-Mar-17 18:20:22

I lived in a rented terraced house with a small back yard space which is all concrete slabs. There is just me and two year old DD and I'd like to make it a nice space for us for the summer. I was looking for any ideas for plants or anything to make it look a bit prettier if anyone could help?

shovetheholly Tue 14-Mar-17 18:26:56

How about doing some pots that you can take with you when/if you move?

antimatter Tue 14-Mar-17 18:28:26

I think a lot depends on your budget. How much do you want to spend?
Do you want to have sandpit for her and a swing as well or a slide?

How big is that garden?

passthenutella Tue 14-Mar-17 18:29:19

Yes I was thinking of pots. What would you put in them ShovetheHolly? I really haven't a clue about gardening blush

Astro55 Tue 14-Mar-17 18:29:25

Go and buy a lot of seeds - and get DD to help plant them -

Sandpit would keep her busy as would a water tray - even a washing up bowl!

Get lots of planters and start planting when the seedlings are ready

Don't forget some strawberry plants or beans

Frouby Tue 14-Mar-17 18:33:04

We used to have a walled yard too. Loads of pots with bedding plants in. They sell them everywhere. Aldi and lidl are cheap. B and M and wilkos are cheap for pots.

Sunflowers are fun for little ones to grow as they very dramatic and come on quickly.

You could also get a growbag and do a few tomato plants.

passthenutella Tue 14-Mar-17 18:35:18

Antimatter we have a slide already, would love a sandpit is there a way of making them cheaply? We have a table and chairs as well from last year.
It's a big enough space not sure of the measurements
Haven't thought about budget really was looking for ideas and have a bit saved up.

passthenutella Tue 14-Mar-17 18:38:29

Thank you all. Brilliant ideas cant wait to get started this weekend smile

MrsBertBibby Tue 14-Mar-17 19:08:04

I always have snapdragon (antirrhinum) because of how hard it made my 2 year old son laugh watching the bumble bees going inside them. Still early enough to grow from seed.

MrPoppersPenguins Tue 14-Mar-17 21:22:39

Snap! We painted our shed a nice bright colour and the brick wall we have white. This could be drawn on with chalk (washes off in rain). Sand pit, swing ball, even planting simple things like lettuce helps to brighten it up.

Astro55 Tue 14-Mar-17 22:48:44

My friend had a trellis and used jam jars to put candles in - was lovely in summer!

Sand pit - why not buy a cheap paddling pool? Fill with sand -

Chalks are fun in big walls!! Buy some thick ones

Also small kids like watering cans and washing up bottle as fun for making marks - plus get a bucket and some old paint brushes

Have a look at kids kitchens - out door ones made from rubbish are loved - throw in old saucepans and utensils and it's a fun afternoon!

Also look at guttering placed at angles - for a ball or car to roll down fixed to the trellis or wall

Astro55 Tue 14-Mar-17 22:50:41

Best warer table I've seen was made from plastic pipes locked together with the three pronged plumbing bits!! So you just cut the lengths to fit whatever bowl you have - or large bucket!

Nothing has to be expensive to be fun

Astro55 Tue 14-Mar-17 22:53:51

Picture are better!!

Lots of ideas

antimatter Tue 14-Mar-17 22:57:56

have some sweat peas, they smell lovely

AstrantiaMajor Wed 15-Mar-17 09:07:26

I would buy a strawberry planter, these are great for little ones to watch the strawberries form. Big seeds like nasturtium, and Calebdula are easy for children to handle and you can get very quick results. Maybe some Sunflowers too. A tomato plant in a pot and a few lettuce leaves will also give quick results.

Pretty and dainty flowers, to grow easy from seed in pots are Nigella, which my kids thought were fairy houses, as after the flowers finish they make amazing seed heads. California poppies and lobelia. Dwarf Summer iris are easy to plant and come up year after year.

Maybe make a bug corner with lumps of wood and stones and hang some bee houses around.

AstrantiaMajor Wed 15-Mar-17 09:08:21

Calendula I mean

ChishandFips33 Sat 18-Mar-17 20:55:18

Yes to paddling pool as a sandpit - or a small tent then it can be zipped up to keep it clean, shelters her in the summer sun and kids like being inside things!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now