Talk

Advanced search

Low hedge/border plants

(9 Posts)
ladypie21 Sun 12-Mar-17 20:19:27

I'm hoping someone can give me some inspiration for filling a front garden border with something relatively fast growing but not too high, ideally less than 1.5m height, plants. The border is about 1m x 6m and runs alongside a path running from the road to my front door. Behind the border is a low (500mm brick wall) the other side of the path is just front lawn. The soil is chalky and gets very dry in summer and the garden is directly south facing with no shade. Lavender probably fits the bill I but I'm not keen on lavender as i find it gets woody and needs replacing regularly so I'm looking to fill it with something a bit more permanent. Ive been thinking of just using one type of plant to create a low hedge but wouldn't be adverse to a mixture of a few different plants. The border was until recently full of ivy and brambles and a few randomly placed daffodils blush

MrsBertBibby Sun 12-Mar-17 20:28:15

Potentilla fructicosa loves full sun, and thrives in my dad's chalky garden. Long flowering and very low maintenance.

MrsBertBibby Sun 12-Mar-17 20:34:29

www.rhs.org.uk/plants/search-results?form-mode=false&query=potentilla%20fruticosa

shovetheholly Mon 13-Mar-17 07:43:06

MIL gardens on chalk, and she has a huge bed of teuchrium. The bees love it in summer. I think some varieties can be shaped into a low hedge.

One idea might be a herb bed - it would give you some scent, too, up the path!

bookbook Mon 13-Mar-17 08:12:06

I garden on chalk,
things that do well for me
, lonicera nitida, euonymous , hebe ( there are lots of different tones ) , , hypericum 'Hidcote" NOT rose of sharon - that gets everywhere (before shove chokes smile)

bookbook Mon 13-Mar-17 08:12:36

tones ?? - types!!

shovetheholly Mon 13-Mar-17 08:41:21

grin I am patrolling the patch of the ex-hypericum with vigilance, poised to fork up any that reappears!

Apfelbunny Mon 13-Mar-17 08:43:25

Berberis is nice. Little red and green leaves, some berries, easily maintained and spiky enough to deter cats and postmen.

ladypie21 Mon 13-Mar-17 13:37:17

Thank you all for the ideas! I rely like the look of teuchrium and Hebe's although the spikey Berberis might help with keeping foxes out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now