Talk

Advanced search

Are my Strawberry plants dead or retrievable?

(6 Posts)
united4ever Sun 12-Mar-17 17:39:08

As per attached pic. I bought them this time last year but ashamed to say except for watering through last summer I didn't do anything with them. If I repot with compost could I get fruit this summer? What do I do with the brown leaves or is the plant finished?

JennyHolzersGhost Sun 12-Mar-17 17:41:36

There's growth on there ! Tbh they look like my strawberry plants which I inherited with the house and have neglected outrageously and yet they're still fine and produce a crop of berries every year (although the slugs get most of them angry ).
I'd say they'll be fine. Strawbs thrive on neglect, I think. More importantly start worrying about how to protect the berries from slugs ! grin (please don't use pellets that will poison birds).

JennyHolzersGhost Sun 12-Mar-17 17:42:55

Btw they'll send out lots of long sucker shoots. If you've got a supply of spare pots and compost you can position the suckers into these and they'll magically turn into more strawberry plants.

united4ever Sun 12-Mar-17 19:52:15

Thanks. So I just leave the brown leaves? Yeah. I shall look out for shooters and beware of slugs. Thanks againsmile

JennyHolzersGhost Mon 13-Mar-17 22:58:56

I just leave them. I don't know whether that's good or bad but all I know is that my strawbs are still thriving after a lot of neglect ! I think you can probably trim them off if you'd like to. That would probably help stop slugs from climbing up and hiding under them. Slugs are your main problem though, not the leaves.

TiggyD Mon 13-Mar-17 23:01:25

I take off the brown leaves to stop fungal issues. They'll come back to life though. They're tough plants.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now