Talk

Advanced search

Summer bulbs in pots

(8 Posts)
GinAndOnIt Sun 12-Mar-17 07:31:25

I really struggle with planting up pots for some reason - I don't really get it! (How high should the soil level be in the pot etc etc)

But I have a few pots that I'd like on the patio out the back. I got given some summer bulbs yesterday, and I'm wondering if they would be nice in the container rather than buying annuals every year.

How do I do it? Do they need to be taken out and replanted every year, or are they like bulbs in the ground and go on flowering every year?

Is there anyway to layer Spring and summer bulbs in one pot, or would the dying spring bulb foliage disguise the new summer growth?

JT05 Sun 12-Mar-17 09:33:45

Depth depends on the bulbs that you have been given. I would not plant them in with the fading spring bulbs.
Do you have somewherere to put the spring pots to rest while the foliage dies back. This needs to be done naturally, as it feeds the bulb for next years flowers.
Plant the summer bulbs in different pots or if you want to use the same pots, transfer the spring bulbs compost and all to cheap plastic pots to rest in a corner.

GinAndOnIt Sun 12-Mar-17 09:55:02

I don't have any spring bulbs in pots yet - sorry, should have been clearer. I've got lots of spring bulbs in the ground that need moving and wondered if I could plant them in with the summer bulbs once they've finished, or whether spring and summer bulbs need their own pots.

GinAndOnIt Sun 12-Mar-17 09:55:55

Do bulbs in pots need replanting every year?

JT05 Sun 12-Mar-17 10:45:12

I'd put them in their own pots and tuck them away in a corner of the garden. Next year they will peak through around February and can be brought out in the open.
I leave mine for a couple of years in the same pot, as long as they still flower.
Same with my potted up Lillies.

shovetheholly Sun 12-Mar-17 17:24:31

YY, great advice from JT to swap two sets of pots. I realise it sounds logical to have them both in the same pot, but what will happen is that you'll get summer bulbs fighting through a mess of dying leaves from the earlier spring bulbs, which will not be the pretty effect you are looking for at all!

Bulbs can survive in pots for some years, but even if they are assiduously fed and tended, they tend to get weaker each year. Tulips are particularly bad for this, but it happens to a lesser extent even with things like daffs. Many gardeners just replace with new bulbs each year, either binning the old ones or putting them into the garden to recover. (Others, like me, can't be faffed with all that and plant other things in pots!! grin)

GinAndOnIt Sun 12-Mar-17 18:47:07

I think I'd looked into spring bulb pots before and realised they were a faff, and that's why they're all in the ground now grin

Maybe the summer bulbs can just go in the ground too.. Is it expensive to plant annuals in pots every year?

MrsBertBibby Sun 12-Mar-17 19:05:05

Agapanthus positively likes being in pots. My dad finally split some up after nearly 10 years happy crowded blooming.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now