Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone help me with some questions about planting a redcurrant bush?

(3 Posts)
Mrscog Sat 11-Mar-17 12:45:39

DS1 (who is only 5) got a redcurrant bush for his birthday which he is delighted with. So I'm now feeling the burden of responsibility with planting it well! I've attached a picture.

On the planting instructions it says that once planted prune all the stems to 5cm above the ground! With all that lovely new growth coming is that right? I don't want to chop it all off for it all to die/not produce berries!

squashyhat Sun 12-Mar-17 08:56:27

Redcurrants are usually pruned just after fruiting, as they flower and produce fruit on the previous year's wood. The rule of thumb is to take out 1/3 of the stems entirely and cut the rest down to 1/3 of their length. As it's quite young it will take a couple of years to establish and begin fruiting properly anyway, so I would just plant it as it is for now - you may get a few berries this year.

Mrscog Sun 12-Mar-17 11:29:23

Thanks squashyhat It looks like it's already been cut back nicely (from what I can tell) so that's what I've done.

Fingers crossed for a few berries this year! DS was up at 6 to see if any had grown yet!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now