Talk

Advanced search

Garden birds

(17 Posts)
Ifonly4oneday Tue 07-Mar-17 19:12:49

Hello everyone. I am probably on the completely wrong page but, trying to figure out what kind of bird this is. Been looking on rspb website but due to the blur in the photograph I can't quite make it out! Was wondering if the bird is possibly from the Tit family but maybe a Blackcap?

Ifonly4oneday Tue 07-Mar-17 21:20:13

??

tittysprinkles Tue 07-Mar-17 21:33:29

Looks like a blackcap to me. They are normally summer migrants but some have started to stay over winter. I have had two in my garden this winter (Northwest England). It is thought that people putting out more bird food is the main reason for the increase in numbers (as well as milder winters).

starsorwater Tue 07-Mar-17 21:34:40

It might be a reed bunting, they sit upright like that.

TizzyDongue Tue 07-Mar-17 21:36:13

How big was it? (I'm rubbish with perspective!)

Does look like a black cap though.

TizzyDongue Tue 07-Mar-17 21:36:42

Black caps are small.

Ifonly4oneday Wed 08-Mar-17 06:13:10

Thank you for your replies 😃 Yes it was small, like possibly the size of a robin. I cropped the picture which makes it look bigger. Hmm now I have looked at an illustration of a Reed Bunting it does look like it could have been one of those too.

Hmm. Ok, I have another question. This is all very new to me, I am trying to teach my LOs about nature. I purchased bird seed and a feeder around a month ago and there has been no interest 🤔 I have placed hung it on my Apple tree, not to high up, is there a better place to place the feeder? Thanks again.

TizzyDongue Wed 08-Mar-17 07:26:41

Can take them a while to discover new feeders (especially in a garden there has never been one)

Check the position out though if it's too close to the ground the might not use it. My feeders are about 5ft off the ground. Think like a very small bird - if you were on the feeder could a cat sneak up on up?!!

starsorwater Wed 08-Mar-17 08:08:29

What a lovely thing to teach your dcs. Check out your local wildlife trust, ours has all sorts of activities for little ones.
Yes, it can take a while for birds to find new feeders.

HaveYouSeenHerLately Wed 08-Mar-17 13:13:07

Sometimes multiplying your feeders helps establish a feeding community. I try and have three out at any one time - seed, fatballs and a half coconut feeder.

Poundworld do 2 coconut feeders for £1 and Wilko do 4 fatballs for 40p or 10 for £1 grin Best to take the fatballs out of their nets and put them in a feeder as birds can trap their feet.

Once the coconut ones are empty I refill with seeds, oats and melted lard from the microwave. Chill in the fridge on a plate overnight and rehang outside.
Nice activity to do with children smile
The RSPB website offers guidance on suitable foods. I recall you have to be careful using some fats (e.g. from a roast) as they can be too salty.

Hope that helps brew

HaveYouSeenHerLately Wed 08-Mar-17 13:14:42

PS Well done for getting involved!

ineedwine99 Wed 08-Mar-17 13:29:25

Hi OP, i find the birds i get love sunflower hearts/suet pellets and fat balls. Also I occasionally put out mealworm.
Once they discover it they'll be back, other option is maybe a feeder pole? Safe from cats that way as they cant climb them
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002TJHFNA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488979725&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=bird+feeding+station&tag=mumsnetforum-21
Wilko is good for bird supplies, well priced

shovetheholly Wed 08-Mar-17 14:47:17

Just popping in to say yes, that's a blackcap. If you see it again, be sure to have a listen. They have the most beautiful song.

It takes ages to really build up a bird population around feeders - years, in fact. But you should get some visitors soon - they will be desperate for food in the breeding season.

Ifonly4oneday Thu 09-Mar-17 11:48:24

Thank you so much for all of your kind and helpful comments.

I feel my 3year old son is becoming quite interested. I have purchased some lard and birdseed and raisins and we are going to make a bird cake this afternoon smile

I will check out pond land and will try more feeders and see how it goes 😃 Thanks very much. I am looking forward to seeing some more birds in our garden 😃👍

Ifonly4oneday Thu 09-Mar-17 11:50:22

Oh I have just purchased that feeder ineedwine smile thank u xx

HaveYouSeenHerLately Fri 10-Mar-17 22:11:37

Ah brilliant! Good luck with the feeding smile

I couldn't ID your bird as I have rather mundane visitors - greedy starlings and pigeons mostly plus the occasional robin, bluetit, chaffinch etc. I've put some niger (nyger?) seed from Wilko out to try and attract goldfinches, fingers crossed grin

There's some good info here regarding foods for different times of year.
I'll stop feeding the homemade fatcakes soon and I avoid putting peanuts out anyway as they don't get eaten here and go mouldy.
Seeds, mealworm and commercial fatballs are fine during the spring/ summer. I usually go down to one feeder in the summer if the food isn't disappearing very quickly (lots of delicious insects available instead!)

Next thing you know you'll have a fat squirrel ransacking your feeders, then you have to upgrade to metal/ outer cage styles ££ grin

GingerKitCat Sat 01-Apr-17 21:06:43

Any luck attracting the birds OP?

I've had my first goldfinches on the nyger seed this week grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now