Talk

Advanced search

Is there a tree or a plant that represents your character?

(9 Posts)
AstrantiaMajor Mon 06-Mar-17 07:54:39

I am reading Post of Honour by R.F Delderfield.. After the First World War the main character plants a wood of 18 trees to represent the 18 men from the village who did not come back. It was one of the most moving passages I have ever read.

It got me wondering if anyone has a tree or a plant that represents their character.

I think I am a dandelion, because I am little and weedy but defiantly keep coming back to poke my tongue out at the world.

shovetheholly Mon 06-Mar-17 08:15:03

Astrantia - I see you as more like something like a hellebore or - even better - a winter-flowering cherry - defiantly flowering at a time of year when other plants fear to put out leaves, and so elegant the rest of the time, whatever the weather smile

AstrantiaMajor Mon 06-Mar-17 09:12:54

See the word elegant has never ever been anywhere near me. Same with tidy/meticulous/attention to detail. Those words don't even exist as far as I am concerned. I am any plant that is ragged and scruffy and appears where you don't want it.

You of course are the Tree of knowledge. Spreading out your branches to shelter all the novice gardeners and providing a place for everyone to gather round you, gossip, eat cake, and drink wine.

shovetheholly Tue 07-Mar-17 08:58:25

Ha! I would love to be a tree, but sadly at 5' 4" (and my husband says that is exaggerating) I fear I cannot claim stature in a physical sense, let alone a moral or intellectual one! grin I have been trying hard to think which plant is like me - it would need to be something a bit weedy and in need of a lot of nurture!! smile

AstrantiaMajor Tue 07-Mar-17 09:25:52

5'4 is a positive giant in our family. My mum always described my son as lanky because he reached the phenomenal height of 5'8"

Lostpangolin Thu 09-Mar-17 11:24:47

You could both be bonsai? Small, heavily maintained, concentrated energy.
I'm hoping not to be a lleylandiigrin

ijustwannadance Thu 09-Mar-17 11:28:17

I'd probably be a cactus. Doesn't need much looking after and fine on my own.

Or a venus fly trap!

JennyTaylior Thu 09-Mar-17 11:30:20

Bamboo: tall, thin (in my head grin ), unbreakable and impenetrable, and you can't get rid of me!

Lostpangolin Thu 09-Mar-17 11:48:15

Ijustwanna- so, you're prickly?
And Jenny can be cutting?

I'd like to be festuca glauca. Small, spiny and doesn't need a lot of feeding. I'm actually more of a succulent, round,fleshy and hold too much liquid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now