Talk

Advanced search

using a caravan as a playhouse?

(12 Posts)
RicottaPancakes Sun 05-Mar-17 22:12:49

My children would like a playhouse and I'm thinking that an old caravan would be much more fun, cheaper, easier and last longer. DH is worried about fire safety. Does anyone use a caravan as a playhouse? Is it ok? I would obviously disconnect the gas and electricity.

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 05-Mar-17 22:15:47

If all the electric and gas has been disconnected it must be about as fireproof as a wooden play house. Persumably you are not going to let them have candles etc in there anyway. However even in backyard ensure they are a magnet for petty vandalism and theft even if there is nothing in them to steal. Also will it stand above the height of your boundary with other gardens as they are quite an eyesore.

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 05-Mar-17 22:16:49

'backyard ensure' should read back garden.

PippaFawcett Sun 05-Mar-17 22:18:04

I think it is a good idea if you have space

RicottaPancakes Sun 05-Mar-17 22:19:21

Thanks smile We live in the middle of nowhere so nobody would see it. I would also paint it, plant things round it etc to make it blend in better and look less white!

Jaynebxl Sun 05-Mar-17 22:19:36

It would be great for kids of 10 and over but younger kids need more floor space and room to put stuff like the toy kitchen and all that crud. So you'd have to take out some of the furniture wouldn't you?

PippaFawcett Sun 05-Mar-17 22:20:38

You could connect the electricity when they are older and they could have it as a hang out den

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 05-Mar-17 22:23:33

They wouldn't need a toy kitchen they can just use the disconnected caravan kitchen. If you've got no neighbours I'd go for it. They can sleep out in it in the summer!

Wolfiefan Sun 05-Mar-17 22:23:53

Issue is a really cheap one may have rotten flooring and grotty cushions. Plus if it were my kids I KNOW one of them would forget it wasn't plumbed in and use the bloody toilet! confused

Jaynebxl Sun 05-Mar-17 22:26:26

They wouldn't need a toy kitchen they can just use the disconnected caravan kitchen

But by the time they're tall enough to be able to use the caravan kitchen they'll be too old to play kitchens.

dowhatnow Sun 05-Mar-17 22:26:54

Fantastic idea and will last their teens as well, especially if you reconnect everything. Would have been my idea of heaven as a kid and teenager.

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Sun 05-Mar-17 22:30:54

When I was little one of my friends lived in an old farmhouse with lots of land, and there was a caravan in the garden which was a playhouse. It was brilliant.

We used the kitchen (presumably we stood on a step or something, I don't remember) and "cooked" in real saucepans (ok, we poured in orange squash and stirred with a real wooden spoon, then ate from the camping plates and bowls). We also slept in there. We must have been about 6 or 7.

I'd say go for it, OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now