Talk

Advanced search

Properly thornproof gloves?

(20 Posts)
SloanyAnne Sun 05-Mar-17 17:29:08

Can anyone please recommend some tried and tested properly thornproof gloves? I have lots of roses, including climbing New Dawn (utterly vicious) and an old rose with tiny fine thorns which are a bugger to get out. I've been hospitalised with cellulitis which may well have come from being cavalier about protection (I'll just pick all the thorns out later being my usual M.O.). So now I need proper gloves. I've Googled but I'd be more interested in your recommendations.

TiggyD Sun 05-Mar-17 17:31:07

I wear a rubber coated thin pair under thick leather.

SloanyAnne Sun 05-Mar-17 18:41:07

Thanks. smile

lljkk Sun 05-Mar-17 19:00:38

(ouch) Look for padded inside neoprene. Nothing is perfect, though.

shovetheholly Sun 05-Mar-17 19:15:01

For stuff like that, I wear a pair of cheap, very thick riggers from the DIY shop. They're useless for fine work, but great for hefting rubble/fighting with thorny things.

I then have some much thinner ones for finer work, and a pair of insulated ones that are a kind of half way house for the winter. Both from Aldi, because I go through them in a season and it's a shame to waste posh ones.

SloanyAnne Sun 05-Mar-17 19:22:30

Thanks. Riggers you say...are they from B and Q?
Off to Google

IlsaLund Sun 05-Mar-17 20:01:08

Gold leaf tough touch gloves - expensive, but brilliant

SloanyAnne Sun 05-Mar-17 21:25:55

I've seen those well reviewed Ilsa. They're expensive but tbh we've paid at least that amount in hospital car parking fees over the last fortnightsmile
I think Mother's Day is coming up and I have 3 DCs who can club together. smile

IlsaLund Sun 05-Mar-17 21:53:43

SloanyAnne I have the Tough Touch and the Winter Touch and it was money well spent. I've spent so much on rubbish gloves over the years and suffered so many splinters and scratches that I wouldn't be without a pair now.
DH scoffed at them as being an expensive indulgence until I bought him a pair and now he is a convert!

SloanyAnne Sun 05-Mar-17 23:28:51

Right the. That's decided. Thanks Ilsa.

WhoKn0wsWhereTheTimeG0es Sun 05-Mar-17 23:33:38

We got some really thick suede gauntlets with our woodburner. I wear them for pruning my gooseberry bush as they protect up to the elbow. I also use them when getting reluctant cats into their carriers to go to the vet.

Lostpangolin Tue 07-Mar-17 17:46:16

Welding gauntlets with your gardening gloves under. No dexterity, but far fewer piercings!

Mouthfulofquiz Tue 07-Mar-17 18:12:40

I also have the tough touch ones and they are awesome. I love them and spend quite a bit of time cleaning them off and massaging them with renapur! (Need to get a life...)

ElasticFirecracker Wed 08-Mar-17 14:47:41

I have a similar problem and have to avoid infection on one side. I was recommended Kevlar gloves. They are effective but not good for fine work. I'm now going to try the tough touch gloves.

Thanks

shovetheholly Wed 08-Mar-17 17:50:12

Wow, are Kevlar gloves really that good? I'm off to get a pair!

ElasticFirecracker Thu 09-Mar-17 07:39:40

Kevlar gloves from the builders merchant. Take care about getting the right size, the pair I have st the moment are just a bit too big and so feel odd.

SloanyAnne Thu 09-Mar-17 07:49:43

Thanks for all these suggestions. The kevlar gloves I've seen have fabric backs but they were gardening gloves not builders's gloves so I'll have a look.
smile

JeffreySadsacIsUnwell Thu 09-Mar-17 23:30:42

I've just bought the Gold Leaf Tough Touch ones to tackle brambles. Def recommended. They feel too nice to garden in though! A friend was converted tonight and is off to buy her own pair tomorrow...

IlsaLund Fri 10-Mar-17 18:58:39

Jeffrey - they do seem to beautiful to garden in! When I got a new pair recently I just admired them for a few days before using them.

SloanyAnne Sun 28-May-17 12:38:01

Just moved my New Dawn with the Tough Touch goves on. Amazing! Worth every penny because those thorns are vicious.
Thanks so much for the recommendation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now