Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone identify this?

(12 Posts)
Mummybear8 Sat 04-Mar-17 17:32:56

Found this in my garden today as I was weeding. Don't remember planting anything like this over last few years so thought it might possibly be a weed. Don't want to remove it before I know what it is in case it's actually a beautiful plant! I've tried googling and can't seem to find anything close. Any suggestions? Thanks smile

Sipperskipper Sat 04-Mar-17 17:34:24

It looks like young Peony shoots to me!

Mummybear8 Sat 04-Mar-17 17:41:08

Just googled "peony shoots" and I think you might be right. I hope so they are my favourite. Not sure how they got there though! Thank you

timtam23 Sat 04-Mar-17 22:22:20

I think it could be the shoots of a bleeding heart plant (Dicentra spectabilis/Lamprocapnos spectabilis)

knittingwithnettles Sat 04-Mar-17 22:43:49

My bleeding heart plant shoots are much closer together than that, although it is the same colour/type of shoot. Could be an old bit of root that has sprouted though. Dicentra is quite tough. Could be bright pink or white when it comes out. Beautiful by late April! [I have two enormous clumps]

Sanga76 Fri 10-Mar-17 17:36:07

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it doesn't look too dissimilar to Japanese knotweed which looks very much like peony when it first comes up. Hoping it is not

WowOoo Fri 10-Mar-17 18:27:52

My peony is a far more burgundy colour than that. I hope Sanga isn't right.

Sanga76 Fri 10-Mar-17 19:01:48

If it is JK don't touch it and get professional advice straight away

MrsBertBibby Fri 10-Mar-17 19:29:30

www.phlorum.com/services/japanese-knotweed/domestic-knotweed-removal/knotweed-identification/

Looks different to me.

MrsBertBibby Fri 10-Mar-17 19:33:35

www.environetuk.com/Japanese-Knotweed-Identification

These people will id from photos for free.

Mummybear8 Fri 10-Mar-17 20:06:15

It is bleeding heart! I planted it two years ago and thought i'd killed it and totally forgot about it! Thanks everyone smile

MrsBertBibby Fri 10-Mar-17 22:06:13

Hurray!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now