Talk

Advanced search

Can I dig up bulbs while they are in flower?

(7 Posts)
hellooooooomama Fri 03-Mar-17 10:56:15

I don't want to lose track of where they are or what they are! I'll be giving them away. What's the best way of doing this please?

Thinkingblonde Fri 03-Mar-17 11:06:00

Yes you can, if you transplant them asap after digging them up, try to leave as much soil/compost around the root ball as possible. Also have the area where you want to move them to ready in advance.
If you are giving them away, put them into prepared pots of compost and firm them in gently in both scenarios.
Lilly of the valley are planted 'in the green' i.e. In flower or soon after flowering.

shovetheholly Fri 03-Mar-17 11:15:13

I tend to let them flower and then do them straight away when they are 'over' - then you don't ruin this year's display, but you can still remember where they are!! If you're potting them up to give away, make sure they get plenty of food!

hellooooooomama Fri 03-Mar-17 22:02:41

Thanks for the tips. I have plenty of pots (and food!) just need to get some compost and then we're away smile

AstrantiaMajor Sat 04-Mar-17 09:06:21

What bulbs are you moving? I am assuming there is a reason why they have to moved now, rather than waiting. Moving from garden to pots is more risky than the other way around.

Usually when Moving plants you are advised to water first but this is not the case with spring bulbs. Move them in a dry spell, and make a very large trench around them before you star digging. Try to keep the roots as intact as possible. There is a likelihood of the flowers wilting so I would tie them to pea sticks or small canes. Alternatively cut the flowers for an indoor display before you move them.

hellooooooomama Mon 06-Mar-17 07:56:04

They are crocuses, tulips and daffs. I didn't realise they were quite so delicate when in flower. They're usually quite tough aren't they? I've dug them up in autumn without a second thought (to redistribute). Appreciate all the tips thank you smile

PS does anyone want some bulbs? 😕

hellooooooomama Fri 10-Mar-17 11:42:49

Waiting for a dry spell. 🙄

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now