Talk

Advanced search

Lawn help.

(13 Posts)
hyacinthwannabe Mon 27-Feb-17 18:52:58

I just got my first lawn!!! It's full of moss and feels really spongey. I'd love to try to repair it this year. Can ye direct me to the best place for advice please. Or give me some newbie advice on the first step please.

JT05 Mon 27-Feb-17 21:33:56

Hire, borrow or buy a scarrifyer, it's like an electric rake. It will lift the moss out of the lawn. Then it needs spiking with a fork so that the compacted soil lets the rain through. The moss grows on compacted damp soil. Then after all that put some weed and feed on it.
Lawns with a large amount of moss are generally in damp shady places, difficult to eradicate completely, but you can keep on top of it.

hyacinthwannabe Mon 27-Feb-17 21:58:24

Thanks! Will I need to sow more seed in the baldy patches?

shovetheholly Tue 28-Feb-17 07:12:19

Yes! Have a look on Youtube - there are lots of videos for lawncare which show the process (it looks like you're making a huge mess of the lawn, so it can be good to get the confidence from seeing that you are actually doing it right).

My lawn is so mossy now I am seriously thinking of killing the grass and pretending it was deliberate. grin I am close to the Peak District, which is one of the richest bryophyte habitats in the world. They are amazingly varied when you start looking. I think I am going to have to get a book and release my (not very disguised) inner nerd!

hyacinthwannabe Tue 28-Feb-17 08:01:03

Thanks. I have ordered a scarifier to rent for next week. I think I'm going to be left with a bald lawn lol. Will watch some you tube videos too so I can be prepared for the fallout. Just need to workout what type of Clematis it is that's ruining my fence now lol.

ChuckDaffodils Tue 28-Feb-17 08:08:00

I prefer a mossy lawn myself. So soft in the summer. So much so that when I pick moss from older plant pots, I drop it on my grass paths and hope it grows.

hyacinthwannabe Tue 28-Feb-17 08:23:13

Really Chuck? And does your lawn look healthy?

shovetheholly Tue 28-Feb-17 11:51:23

My guess is that it might be a montana on your fence. Just from experience. But I could be wrong!!

The Japanese plant lawns of moss and pick all the grass out, and they are stunningly beautiful! But they don't tolerate much in the way of wear. Moss will grow in lots of lawns, but if you are north facing or in a particularly wet climate, it can be a bigger problem. You can buy special shade turf and seed but it is a finer rescue and not as tough as sun loving turf. My guess, given the springiness of your lawn, is that it might be really matters together and the scarification may help a lot. You will definitely get bald patches though, and bear in mind you can't walk on these til the seed is well on or the turf bedded in.

shovetheholly Tue 28-Feb-17 11:51:52

*matted!

Lostpangolin Tue 07-Mar-17 17:56:41

Scarifying live moss will spread the moss. First treat with a lawn product containing iron sulphate. This will kill the moss. Wait a fortnight then scarily. Try not to get iron on paving as it will stain. If you can find lawn sand it contains nitrogen which will boost the grass to fill the gaps.

cherryberrymum Tue 07-Mar-17 19:19:46

Lostpangolin, so should I Cut on highest setting. Treat it with something to feed and kill moss. Scarily after two weeks. Then spread the nitrogen sand stuff?

Lostpangolin Wed 08-Mar-17 07:40:34

Yes. Top it off. Apply lawn sand ( I never used triple action products professionally) wait 10-14 days, scarify. As growth increases and temp rises, gradually lower height of cut to summer level.

feelingselfish Wed 08-Mar-17 07:43:22

Thank you very much. I'm excited to get going.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now