Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone had any luck with Poundland plants?

(8 Posts)
sizeofalentil Sun 26-Feb-17 21:36:13

Namely, the roses, honeysuckle, blackberry and other fruit bushes? I spent about £8 in there on a whim, and am wondering if my gamble will pay off…

coxsorangepippin Sun 26-Feb-17 21:46:19

Not the bushes, but when I bought different herb seeds there the chilli seeds grew into ...sunflowers! So who knows what fruit you might get grin

EskSmith Sun 26-Feb-17 21:48:31

I've 2 very fruitful poundland gooseberry bushes which must be about 4 years old now. They took a couple of years to get established and produce any amount of fruit though.

elephantoverthehill Sun 26-Feb-17 21:48:36

I bought raspberries, gooseberries and loganberries a few weeks ago, I planted them out and they are developing leaves well. With Poundland be very careful to look at the plants before you buy. They are not looked after in the shop.

JT05 Mon 27-Feb-17 00:54:21

I always repot cheap garden plants into a larger pot with good compost, for a season. This seems to allow them to establish and develop, especially those that are sold in plastic sleeves in supermarkets.

shovetheholly Mon 27-Feb-17 07:24:43

Yes, and their seeds are great too! smile

As others have said, it's important to get the new stock before it's been left to the mercy of the shop assistants!

sizeofalentil Tue 28-Feb-17 13:15:14

Thank you! I picked the ones that seemed trying to grow and had little green shoots, so fingers crossed.

I'm not that bothered if it takes 2 years for them to spring up. For the sake of £1 I can be patient!

I just spend a fortune on large honeysuckle and jasmine plants for all round the garden, so these honeysuckles and things are just little add-ons.

sizeofalentil Sun 12-Mar-17 15:24:00

Update: honeysuckle, climbing rose, buddelia and rasberries seem to be growing well. Others are a bit twig-like but it's early days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now