Talk

Advanced search

Will I get rats?

(4 Posts)
VanillaSugar Sat 25-Feb-17 15:18:31

I have a courtyard garden with raised beds. I don't like the plants that the previous owner put in so I would like to turn the entire garden over to growing vegetables.

I live within 300 feet of a river. My neighbour has already had a rat in his garage. If I grow courgettes and peas, raspberries, etc, will I just be encouraging rats into my garden?

Please advise!

NanTheWiser Sat 25-Feb-17 16:00:55

I would doubt it. Rats are more inclined to visit gardens where there are bird feeders, as they feed on the dropped bird food (we had a problem when my late husband fed the birds, but I stopped that, and no further problem). I don't think they go after fruit and veg, but maybe other posters can advise!

VanillaSugar Sat 25-Feb-17 16:03:18

Oh, thank you! Much appreciated smile

echt Sun 26-Feb-17 01:10:16

I'm in Australia and live in a house on stumps, have a deck and raised veggie beds. I've only encountered rattiness on a couple of occasions in the veggie patch and set a trap, which worked.

I have no bird feeders in my garden, relying on flowering shrubs and trees to provide the goodness. I see this would be different from the UK, where I would definitely feed birds in winter.

When I gardened in the UK, I never had rat problems, i.e. eating the veggies, but then I had a champion ratting cat, smile who also like crunchy robin fledglings. sad

Swings. Roundabouts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now