Talk

Advanced search

Summer flowering bulbs

(8 Posts)
FreeButtonBee Sun 19-Feb-17 21:15:24

I didn't get my act together for autumn bulb planting so fully aware I've kissed the spring bulb boat.

But what can I plant in my (relatively) virgin sunny flower beds for summer? Am in London, v hot south east facing garden with fairly rubbish soil (I am trying to build it up with manure etc but spent last summer digging out the crazy paving and enormous lumps of concrete that had been left under the flower beds 🙄)

And what's the best way to plant? Clumps? Scattered? I don't have much space for shrubs - very narrow beds only about 40cm in places but I do have one large quarter circle bed. Which has some lavender, buddliea and sedums in it

MrsBertBibby Sun 19-Feb-17 22:50:18

I think aliums can still go in.

And dahlias, and crocosmia.

elephantoverthehill Wed 22-Feb-17 18:57:27

DM went to Aldi today and came back with loads of cheap summer flowering bulbs. I'm going tomorrow grin.

shovetheholly Wed 22-Feb-17 19:05:14

What about perennials to go with the bulbs?? Something like hardy geraniums (not pelargoniums) - easy, bombproof and colourful! It's worth thinking about how it looks in winter too! So maybe evergreen shrubs that you can keep small?

AstrantiaMajor Wed 22-Feb-17 20:36:16

Wilkinsons have got Bags of Iris for £1. I bought 3 bags and 3 gypsophelia.. 60 plants for under £10. I love a bargain.

wobblywonderwoman Thu 23-Feb-17 09:53:37

Are these bulbs suitable for large pots ?

I planted some spring bulbs and they are starting to come through. Would love to have more of an impact in the garden this summer.

I also bought edible flower seeds so hopefully good for salads etc !

MaybeDoctor Wed 15-Mar-17 09:54:47

I have been looking at the packets of summer bulbs in my nearby garden centre - on the back they all say 'not for naturalising'. Does this mean that they are a one-year-only display? Or will some come back next year?

JT05 Wed 15-Mar-17 10:02:37

Agapanthus would love your garden. They do well in pots as they like to be restricted. I would wait and buy them in bud already, they can be temperamental to get started.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now