Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone identify this plant for me please?

(10 Posts)
musicalfrog Fri 17-Feb-17 16:39:27

Any ideas? I've got loads but don't know what it is!

musicalfrog Fri 17-Feb-17 16:52:38

Also this bush which has pink and white berries. I have no idea what it is.

JT05 Fri 17-Feb-17 17:01:21

First one looks like a wild iris, yellow colour with red berries in autumn. It's probably got a botanical name.
The second one is a Snowberry. It can be invasive.

MissisBoote Fri 17-Feb-17 17:02:54

Snowberry is poisonous so watch out if you have little ones that might be tempted by the berries.

musicalfrog Fri 17-Feb-17 17:30:38

Oh that's troubling about the snowberry as I do have little ones! Here's more of a close up. Is that definitely what they are?

MissisBoote Fri 17-Feb-17 17:36:32

Yes, it's definitely snowberry.

musicalfrog Fri 17-Feb-17 17:40:29

I was going to give them away some time this year. Should I get rid with the garden waste instead?

JT05 Fri 17-Feb-17 22:25:07

I'd just get rid of it. It is useful as hedging infill or at the side of a road, otherwise, no.

MrsBertBibby Sat 18-Feb-17 10:51:19

It's also great if you pick the berries, roll them between your fingers, line them up on the pavement and then cycle over them, they pop beautifully.

God our neighbours who had those bushes must have HATED us.

traviata Sat 18-Feb-17 22:31:55

The iris is iris foetidissima, which is native to the UK (which explains why it seeds itself everywhere).
It has insignificant little yellowy white flowers in summer, but in autumn it has vivid orange berries in seed pods, and the leaves are evergreen.

People usually grow it for the autumn berries and winter greenery, but unless you have acres of space, it doesn't pull its weight IMO and you would do better to dig it up and put something else in its place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now