Talk

Advanced search

What would you put in a new raised bed?

(5 Posts)
evilgiraffe Fri 17-Feb-17 16:38:38

At the beginning of April my garden is getting a revamp, including a new raised bed. It will be filled with topsoil, which will be a nice change from the clay in the rest of the garden! It will get sunshine all morning through to midday ish, and be up against next door's garage wall on the west side. I'm thinking a rambling rose might be nice for sprawling over the edge. It will be approx 2.5m by 1.25m, so a fair size to plant up.

I will probably chuck a load of annuals in it initially, but the long-term plan requires a bit more thought. Insect-friendly plants would be good, maybe a lavender or two.

AstrantiaMajor Sat 18-Feb-17 15:23:45

If you want quick coverage the rambling rose Veolchenblau is really rampant and practically thornless. Teamed with Bankssii Lutea also fast growing and heavily perfumed, though you have to wait a year for it to flower.

Scabious, Aqueliga and thistles are great for bees and butterflies. I would also include a small stumpery and some large stones and bricks for hybernating insects.

AstrantiaMajor Sat 18-Feb-17 15:24:09

That should be Veichenblau

evilgiraffe Sat 18-Feb-17 16:27:38

Thank you! I shall look into the Veichenblau - always nice to have recommendations. I have just bought a job lot of summer bulbs to give it something to start with, and will see if my mum has any Aquilegia going spare...

JT05 Tue 21-Feb-17 08:02:54

A Penstemon or two might be nice. They are long flowering and come in interesting varieties. The advice is to take cuttings, in the summer as in some areas they might not be hardy. But I've never had a problem, despite frost and snow.
Also, what about some sedums for Autumn interest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now