Talk

Advanced search

It's a nice sunny day and I've got time. What to do in the garden?

(8 Posts)
DesolateWaist Tue 14-Feb-17 11:10:21

What can I get done today?
Is it the wrong time of year to cut back the fuchsia?
I don't want to do anything that might disturb wildlife as my garden is in a small woodland and I leave lots of fallen stuff for things to hibernate in.

What can I get done?

JT05 Tue 14-Feb-17 12:34:32

I've just spent 2 hours pruning over grown bushes ( not flowering on last years growth, sort ), cutting down old stems and clearing debris underneath where plants are shooting. Clearing moss off steps etc. can be done, as it will be slippy.

DesolateWaist Tue 14-Feb-17 12:53:04

See I cleaned out debris a month or so ago and I ended up with a pissed off toad. We have a lot of snakes too and I wouldn't want to disturb them.

IlPorcupinoNilSodomyEst Tue 14-Feb-17 12:59:32

Ooh where are you with snakes? I am chopping back and tidying today. Ivy has overtaken a lovely rose and half my veg patch at the bottom of the garden.

DesolateWaist Tue 14-Feb-17 13:02:33

I'm in East Anglia. Middle of a large town but I back onto woods.
Here is one of our snakes. It

GeekLove Tue 14-Feb-17 13:03:56

Seek and destroy perennial weeds. With a kettle of boiling water which is cheap and effective. Make sure your aim is good though and you don't end up boiling anything you want.

IlPorcupinoNilSodomyEst Tue 14-Feb-17 15:05:26

Gosh that's impressive but I'm glad I don't have them here - not that I've seen, anyway (listens out for rustling in the undergrowth). We're in a fairly rural part of Berks, i have seen slow worms occasionally. I've cleared a huge patch of ivy and filled the green bin, feeling virtuous now!

DesolateWaist Tue 14-Feb-17 15:07:17

I have done much clearing of stuff. I'm now sat in the summer house, with a blanket.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now