Talk

Advanced search

Please help with my garden (pics)

(12 Posts)
Twopeapods Thu 09-Feb-17 19:47:35

It's just a slope of mud with a flat bit on top. The fence was put up to stop kids falling down the steps but are open to it coming down. Any suggestions welcome. We have a two and 5 year old and a dog.

Twopeapods Thu 09-Feb-17 19:53:21

Having trouble uploading pictures.

Twopeapods Thu 09-Feb-17 19:54:39

Another

Twopeapods Thu 09-Feb-17 19:56:09

Last one

SleightOfMind Thu 09-Feb-17 20:03:07

Do you know what your soil's like? Sandy or clay?
I like gardening with my primary aged DCs but Dsis finds it a messy, boring faff.
Would you like to grow things with the DC or have it more as an easy maintenance extension of the house?

Twopeapods Thu 09-Feb-17 20:35:49

More easy so that the kids can just go play. We have another pretty flower patch elsewhere so this is just so they can have a fun area. We also have a playhouse and rubber play mats down so I was considering more play mats.
It's the slope that I find hard. The pathway just gets muddy but I don't know if chips or play bark or rubber bark would be any better.
I've been on Pinterest but just cannot seem to think creative enough.

Twopeapods Thu 09-Feb-17 20:37:45

I really like this. Would this work with the wall at the bottom? I don't mind doing something unusual.

AstrantiaMajor Thu 09-Feb-17 20:48:08

I would make a jungle play area for the children. Bamboo and tall plants for hide and seek, play bark and patio stones for stepping game and chalking. Raised beds for growing easy plants and annual flowers. We have used plastic recycling boxes for raised beds. Avoid stone planters as they are an accident waiting to happen with children. . If you have a flat area then a wigwam or tent, with a rubber floor. Leave a corner for mud play that you can jump around in. Peppa Pig and muddy puddles. A patio area for Adult time with herbs in pots.

Easy plants for children to grow from seed are Nasturtiums, sweet peas, calendula, nigella and California poppies. Lots of mint and lavender and herbs for a sensory garden. Maybe a small fruit tree, apple trees have beautiful blossom followed by fruit and can be grown in soil or pots.

SleightOfMind Thu 09-Feb-17 21:08:42

You could definitely get a slide down that slope and turn the top bit into a very cool play area. You could also get a scramble net or climbing wall.
You're basically only limited by your budget/DIY skills.

Twopeapods Thu 09-Feb-17 21:34:14

You can just see in the first picture we have a raised decking area and we sit there in summer with a table, so definitely thinking something totally cool for the kids. I have a guy that was coming round tomorrow to price up artificial grass but just got thinking that is a bit boring and go wacky.
Loving the chalk idea. And can maybe attach some sort of water pipes along the back wall for a diy sort of kids water play thing.
Do you think it would be better to get a long slide that can go from the top flat area of the garden down over the wall? Or just one that sits on the wall?

SleightOfMind Thu 09-Feb-17 21:35:10

You'd probably have to lose the top bit of the wall to get a proper slope though.

Twopeapods Thu 09-Feb-17 21:47:48

Like this kind of thing as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now