Talk

Advanced search

Lawn cutting

(9 Posts)
jadeyty Thu 02-Feb-17 05:19:09

What does everyone do with their grass after cutting lawn of you don't have garden waste bin? Last summer we collected it all in heavy duty sacks and took to the skip every week but this is just a ball ache. I'm due to have a baby in May and want to make everything simple. I know I can leave grass on lawn but it the lawn mover throws it out in huge chunks which ends up leaving bad patches. I'm thinking of paying someone to do it weekly/bi-weekly. Any idea how much this would cost? It's a small garden relatively (new build property) and I'm in the north east.

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Thu 02-Feb-17 06:41:24

Well years ago the garden waste got put into the general waste bin. Any sign of your council starting a garden waste collection, might be worth getting in touch.
I was going to advise just putting it in a pile out of sight in your garden but as you say your garden is small. Other than waiting for a few bags to mount up then taking to the tip I'm not sure what else you could do.

Ferguson Thu 02-Feb-17 19:32:48

Keep cuttings in a pile, out of the way, and they will rot down eventually.

Or mow more frequently, then you won't get the 'huge chunks', and cuttings will rot down on the lawn, thereby returning nutrients into the soil.

HaveYouSeenHerLately Fri 03-Feb-17 22:49:42

Can you site one of those dark green dalek compost bins somewhere out of the way? They need to stand on bare earth not slabs.
That's what I do with my lawn clippings and kitchen peelings. If the only place for it is right in your eye line stick a bit of trellis in front plus a small flowerbed and grow something up it grin

No advice on the gardener sorry!

HaveYouSeenHerLately Fri 03-Feb-17 22:51:15

Our council does a free fortnightly garden waste collection (brown bin). Old council used to charge about £30 a year for this so worth checking out.

Iamastonished Fri 03-Feb-17 23:00:48

I thought all councils did garden waste collections these days. Can you check on your council website whether they do this? Ours is covered by our council tax, but some councils charge a small fee for doing this.

We have a compost heap in our garden so we can put our grass clippings in there, but I know this isn't a solution for everyone.

LIZS Sat 04-Feb-17 12:52:44

Compost heap

shovetheholly Sat 04-Feb-17 15:50:35

I add mine to the compost. They really help it to get hot!

ChuckSnowballs Sat 04-Feb-17 15:52:15

If you have any beds, put it on top of the soil around all your plants and it will rot down and keep the weeds down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now