Talk

Advanced search

Help me find a wooden garden shed

(11 Posts)
yellowgladys Wed 01-Feb-17 17:27:12

It will be my first ever shed, for garden tools, deckchairs, mower, kids bike and toys - needs to be as cheap as possible, but what should I look out for? I'm guessing I need to make a concrete base whatever I go for?

shovetheholly Thu 02-Feb-17 07:57:33

Think about the size you need and the roof style. You can get different kinds of roof and they do vary the kind of space you get inside.

Think about materials - I would suggest pressure treated timber is a good option (DON'T buy untreated timber, it's a faff in our climate, and you have to treat it continually). You can get plastic sheds, but people report them getting a bit damp and sweaty inside.

For the base, you can do several different things: a poured concrete slap. Crusher run, compacted hard, with rubber mats or wooden batons on top. Or concrete slabs laid over hardcore or crusher run. In all cases, it's absolutely vital the ground is completely level. DH and I spent over a day faffing as we tamped down what felt like endless amounts of crusher run (we used this and wooden batons). Generally, a lot of shed companies sell the base as well, so once you've worked out which shed you want you can figure out which base will work for you best!

I found ebay worked out LOADS cheaper than shed companies.

Skooba Thu 02-Feb-17 08:03:04

How much money and space do you have?

If I could buy any shed I'd get one with a small verandah and a window at the side, (though window can be a security risk) then I could sit on verandah in the summer and admire the garden and grow seedlings under the window, as long as it was south facing. Also you could grow rose or clematis over the verandah.

Security is a thing, though, it might need to be near the house.

Skooba Thu 02-Feb-17 09:49:16

Just seen that you want a cheap one. I would think you could sit it on beams /wooden supports with a wooden floor, perhaps on paving. Which is less permanent than concrete.

HaveYouSeenHerLately Mon 06-Feb-17 16:51:46

I don't know what size you're after but there's a 7x5 double door wooden one on the Wickes website reduced to £159.99.

There are none left in my area but you may be luckier. Last time I bought a large item on Click and Collect I liaised with the store and they were able to deliver it for free smile

HaveYouSeenHerLately Mon 06-Feb-17 22:57:28

Oh quick OP, there's a 8x6' wooden one on Tesco Direct for £150 with a 15yr anti-rot guarantee.

It's been posted on Hot UK Deals and they're getting snapped up star

here

shovetheholly Tue 07-Feb-17 08:44:39

Haveyouseenher - I owe you a glass of wine

Thanks to you, I just got a cheapo 6x4 shed for my allotment for £100 from Tesco.

I'm really REALLY grateful. You just saved me a minimum of £80. So much cheaper than anywhere else! smile

HaveYouSeenHerLately Tue 07-Feb-17 12:41:19

So glad I could help!

I PM'd the OP in case she needs one in a hurry before they sell out smile

yellowgladys Tue 07-Feb-17 13:03:30

I missed it!! That will teach me to post, then forget about posting for a few days. I hope I never have an amusing wedding dilemma that I post about then bumble off - I would be chucked off mumsnet. If anyone finds any similar amazing offers please post.

yellowgladys Tue 07-Feb-17 13:13:47

and thanks for the advice all, that's really helpful. I love the shed-with-veranda idea, but doubt it will be feasible. I'll keep an eye on gumtree just in case though!

shovetheholly Tue 07-Feb-17 14:48:27

Oh, so sorry gladys - I think they sold out yesterday and then came back on so keep an eye out! If it's any consolation, mine was a 6x4 so probably a bit small for all the things you want to store. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now