Talk

Advanced search

I am completely, totally, utterly, desperately FED UP WITH WINTER NOW!

(124 Posts)
shovetheholly Fri 27-Jan-17 14:10:36

I don't get people who love winter. It's cold and dark and there are no leaves or flowers. I realise that I still have another couple of months to get through in reality, but I feel that I have been patient for months already and that it is now, most definitely, TIME FOR SPRING.

Anyone else feel like January is about 13 weeks long?

Trethew Fri 27-Jan-17 15:02:28

February is worse and it hasn't even started yet

HaveYouSeenHerLately Fri 27-Jan-17 21:07:09

I'm with you. I'm hibernating until March wink

roseteapot101 Fri 27-Jan-17 21:30:30

I hate winter on a bad day i am sitting in my chair i can see my breath,i am wearing two PJ trousers/tops,dressing gown,socks and a duvet yet still frozen cold.

I miss the sunshine i really wish i could afford to some were warm and sunny on a nice sandy beach

Falalalafffffffttt Fri 27-Jan-17 21:32:25

I hear you. I totally hear you.

bookbook Fri 27-Jan-17 22:22:10

5 minutes browsing tonight - wafting warm and sun to you .

shovetheholly Sat 28-Jan-17 07:47:06

Hope you're having a lovely time book! We miss you!

Solidarity fistbumps for fellow winter sufferers. It's horrible out there again today. I feel like I need a soft padded room where I can just sleep out the next 6 weeks!!

WheresTheCoffee Sat 28-Jan-17 07:56:42

I feel like this every year, I can't wait for the Spring!

ACloudCoosHi Sat 28-Jan-17 07:58:41

I'm planning on (at least) and afternoon browsing through seed and plant catalogues very soon. It spurs me on that winter won't last forever.

WheresTheCoffee Sat 28-Jan-17 08:02:39

That's a nice idea, I find myself wandering around garden centres for the same reason!

OverAndAbove Sat 28-Jan-17 08:14:30

I'm getting a bit sick cold and damp too. And the dark evenings - I hardly venture into my garden at this time of year and I really miss it.

I've got a week of skiing to look forward to in half term (different sort of cold and beautiful scenery so not at all the same!) and after that I'll be getting the seeds sorted for this year's veg. I'm thinking by then at least if we have smother month of winter, the evenings will be getting noticeably lighter and the bulbs will all be up. Trying to be optimistic!

AstrantiaMajor Sat 28-Jan-17 08:50:34

I have been spending the last 2 months glued to Pinterest and gardening books. Wondering how I can fit a hundred different planting schemes in to my new garden. I have name changed because this is now my favourite flower.

ChuckSnowballs Sat 28-Jan-17 08:51:15

Yes it is getting a bit boring now.

But, first Iris is nearly out [evening photo attached], the snowdrops are nearly out, and all the spring bulbs are pushing up, and leaving me on tenterhooks as to whether my bright blue tulips will come up.

And I am out and about next week and can go and visit other garden centres, and I bought a new tree last week, and Asian Pear to go with the one I grew from seed and I've even worked out where to put them! Wahoo!!!

AstrantiaMajor Sat 28-Jan-17 08:57:45

Also thank you to all of you who, last year helped me identify a lovely plant growing in my garden as Sorbus Cashmiriana. I have now bought a tree and 2 little plants of the same variety. Fortunately it was milder here yesterday so I got OH to put it into the garden while I supervised from my nice warm living room.

On another note, about lovely gardeners. I had a bench that I was very fond of, but it has been replaced by a new one. I put it on Freely Wheely, and a lovely couple took it. She had just moved and she sent me a photo of it telling me how happy it was in its new garden. Glad it is not just me that gets insanely attached to inanimate objects.

P1nkP0ppy Sat 28-Jan-17 09:09:28

We've just spent two freezing days starting to sort out the totally neglected for possibly 20 years garden at DD's house (also in need of tlc +++)
It's not very big but the previous owner was a very keen gardener so discovered hundreds of bulbs coming up. The soil is incredibly rich and black, very few weeds too, which really surprised me. We had leave some of it because we found a number of hibernating toads!
It's going to be great fun sorting it all out.

P1nkP0ppy Sat 28-Jan-17 09:15:10

Ps: does anyone know what plant has a white, shiny bulb (not garlic/onions), any size upto 3cms diameter, no leaves yet but long stem because some planted very deeply?
Thank you in anticipation 💐

StiickEmUp Sat 28-Jan-17 09:16:10

We got a new house last year with a garden !! It was may so loo late to do anything.

I'm BEYOND excited

ChuckSnowballs Sat 28-Jan-17 10:51:53

PinkPoppy - those are probably bluebells.

shovetheholly Mon 30-Jan-17 08:22:45

The evenings are lightening, aren't they over - we will get there!

chuck - your snowdrops are giving me hope! The gardening season starts in earnest for me when Hodsock's thousands of snowdrops are out, which is just around the corner now. smile One of the things I love about visiting there is all the scents. Sarcococca confusa and Lonicera fragrantissima in particular are wonderful - I try to go on a sunny day when there is enough brightness to release the smell. BLUE tulips sound intriguing!

Yes, astrantias are just beautiful flowers! They are like tiny stars!

pinkpoppy - how wonderful to see an ocean of bulbs coming! Black soil sounds amazing. Bet she'll be able to grow anything! I know you said 'not onions' for your bulb, but they do sound a lot like the allium bulbs I have in my garden...

WhispersOfWickedness Mon 30-Jan-17 08:27:06

Yes! January is definitely too long 😕

So miserable this year that I have bought a cornus (dogwood) in winter beauty to brighten up the garden!

Suzietwo Mon 30-Jan-17 08:33:49

I spent a happy hour in the garden yesterday which left me yearning for more! I dug up my blueberry bushes which have been unhappily in the ground and put them in pots and raked some leaves so the snowdrops which are peeping through had a chance. I also bought some of eye daisies plug plants to try and establish a longer meadow and a few trees to fan against a wall.

Won't be long until seeds go in and we will be OFF

Tulips are just peeking through too

Iamastonished Mon 30-Jan-17 08:46:15

"I don't get people who love winter."

Neither do I. They probably live somewhere with a different climate to me. Today it is misty, dank, damp, gloomy and miserable. Most winter days are like that where I live. We very rarely get the cold, clear, crisp, sunny days that the winter lovers love. I don't mind those kind of days either, but they are as rare as hen's teeth here.

January has dragged this year and I am fed up of driving to work in the dark and driving home in the dark. I need warmth and sunshine and fresh air.

shovetheholly Mon 30-Jan-17 08:52:11

Yes I am, same here. I think we've had only one or two of those days all winter. I read all these posts from people in the autumn about log fires, hot chocolate and slippers and I think they are extrapolating from about one hour in the evening to the entire day. The reality is that it's cold, increasingly wet, foggy, dark, dank, miserable and there are NO FLOWERS.

P1nkP0ppy Mon 30-Jan-17 08:52:15

I love bluebells so DD and I will be very happy if that's what they are. My bluebells at home have elongated bulbs so hopefully her's are the English one's.
I hate winter too, it's not so bad if sunny but yesterday was was grim, incessant rain.
Spring cannot come soon enough!

AstrantiaMajor Mon 30-Jan-17 08:55:22

The stars in my garden have been my new Acer Sangu Kaku which is a beacon in the gloom. And cornus Midwinter Fire, which I bought at Beth Chatto's many years ago. It always got lost in the garden before, but is now in a black tub close the house. This was going to be temporary, but it has shone so brightly through the winter that Imight keep it there. It rained so heavily yesterday here in London, I thought we might float away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now