Talk

Advanced search

Anyone started sowing yet?

(16 Posts)
Eatingcheeseontoast Tue 24-Jan-17 11:45:14

It's unseasonably warm where I am - north west - and I'm keen to get sowing.

What can I safely start sowing now? Have a greenhouse and an allotment.

Scentofwater Wed 25-Jan-17 09:22:57

My sweet peas and summer broccoli are on my windowsill. But I'm in Cornwall so I know I've got warmer springs! I used to live in the north west and everything seems a month later there than here, but I never had a greenhouse so you might be ok with all sorts of things!

Things I'm about to start sowing in the next week or so- my tomatoes, peppers, broad beans, hops. And more salads.

I don't have space for onions etc but I'd be thinking about them if I did!

I'm a relative newbie (first year with my own proper garden) so others will probably have better ideas!

sizeofalentil Wed 25-Jan-17 10:27:57

Tomatoes peas and beans indoors. Could try sweet peas in the ground.

megletthesecond Wed 25-Jan-17 10:30:31

Only parsley in my kitchen.

Am going to sit tight for another month yet.

I'm planning on putting in early potatoes, should find out when I can plant them actually.

VestalVirgin Wed 25-Jan-17 12:00:04

I have a potato experiment going. Just put a food potoato in a pot and now watch it grow.
(It had sprouted already, so I thought I'd try, as it wasn't fit for eating anyway.)

Eatingcheeseontoast Wed 25-Jan-17 15:59:42

sweet peas - there's a thought.

I've been banned from using the window sills indoors now I have a greenhouse. But I'm going to have to sneak a few pots into the kitchen....

MrsBertBibby Mon 30-Jan-17 11:16:26

I'm trying out a heated propagator that my partner unearthed from the garage. So far, it has sprouted honesty, teasel and poppy seeds (all from Dad's garden) so I've moved them out into our glazed porch, and moved on to seeds I have paid for: I have just spotted a couple of antirrhinums (lucky lips) have sprouted, no sign yet of the violas, but I've started more antirrhinum (Rembrandt) today.

We went a bit nuts at Wisley buying seeds, so I need to get a production line going!

shovetheholly Mon 30-Jan-17 13:21:07

I spent some very happy time yesterday sowing hardy perennials that need cold exposure!

SpringSnowdrop Tue 31-Jan-17 13:17:50

I am so happy to find others longing to plant things as it's my 2nd year with a proper garden and I'm itching to try veg again but keep thinking it must be too early as my seed packets mostly suggest at least March. We have a greenhouse .

I have however sown parsley and oregano in our kitchen and dozens of tiny seedlings are just poking out which I find so cheering.

I also did a lot of digging today, as some manure I bought in Nov was still looking a bit raw sitting on top and also had lots of brambles and nettles to get out of a raspberry bed.

I might do some planning too as don't know what would be good in the patch that had potatoes and cabbages last year.

PinkSwimGoggles Tue 31-Jan-17 13:19:42

leeks and beetroot already on the windowsill.
tomatos to follow end of feb. courgettes and sunflowers end of april.

HaveYouSeenHerLately Tue 31-Jan-17 23:51:32

What did you plant shove?

Ananke Wed 01-Feb-17 02:04:13

I've sown some leeks, beetroot, celery, shallots, sweet peas.
San Marzano and Roma tomatoes, chillies, peppers and aubergine.

I don't ususally do the plum tomatoes until the end of Feb but find I'm not picking the first ripe ones until the end of Aug beginning of Sept, so thought I'd experiment. I predict leggy plants!

shovetheholly Wed 01-Feb-17 09:05:09

haveyouseenher - I did some Leek 'Oarsmen' and some onions. And a few 'All the Year Round' caulis.

And the following pretty thangs from the Hardy Plant Society:

Anemone altaica
Anemonopsis macrophylla
Arisaema candidissimum
Clematis napaulensis
Cortusa matthiola
Diphylleia cymosa
Filipendula rubra ex ‘Venusta’
Pollia japonica
Prosartes smithii
Scilla liliohyacinthus
Trillium chloropetalum
Trillium grandiflorum
Vancouveria hexandra

HaveYouSeenHerLately Wed 01-Feb-17 15:17:04

You've been busy! <Off to Google>

shovetheholly Wed 01-Feb-17 15:21:08

I had to google a lot of them when ordering too! smile They're largely shade plants. I am particularly desperate for the Anemonopsis, which is a lovely thing. And the trilliums. They are marvellous!

ElleDubloo Fri 03-Feb-17 10:22:17

I'm also someone who has a "proper" garden for the first time. In the autumn I sowed a load of stuff indoors which unfortunately caused a bit of a mould problem - and when I moved them outdoors subsequently they died in the frost. So I'm very excited that Spring is coming and I can have another go.

This week I've sowed some sweet peas, tumbling tomatoes and strawberries. Keeping them on a sunny windowsill inside some transparent plastic boxes to keep the humidity inside. Very excited to see what will happen!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now