Talk

Advanced search

Winter Woodland ground plants that die back in the spring

(12 Posts)
pithivier Tue 10-Jan-17 10:26:53

I have just planted my Acer Bed, which looks a bit dull at the moment. I want to plant things like winter aconites to add a bit of colour, but will die back in the spring. Does anyone have any other recommendations for "plant them once" plants. I am trying to keep the garden low maintenance and want the Acers to show off, without competion once winter has passed.

NanTheWiser Tue 10-Jan-17 11:30:51

You could also plant Cyclamen coum tubers along with Anemone blanda, and Snowdrop bulbs - I have all these planted in a north-facing shady border, and they give a lovely display from Feb-April, self-sowing themselves over time. They will all die back from April onwards.

pithivier Tue 10-Jan-17 11:44:34

Fabulous, thankyou?

shovetheholly Tue 10-Jan-17 12:16:40

Obvious things that spring to mind - very early Dec/Jan/Feb daffs (though these may be late spring before they are gone), crocuses, iris reticulata, all kinds of anemones (there are some gorgeous ones - check out anemone nemorosa 'vestal', for instance), chinodoxa, blue scilla (looks lovely in a carpet).

What about erythroniums? They are a bit later, but their wonderful structure complements acers well and they will be long gone by summer. Ditto leucojum.

pithivier Tue 10-Jan-17 13:45:00

Thank you, I will research those too.

pithivier Tue 10-Jan-17 16:09:30

Absolutely perfect. My wish list at Crocus, is growing and growing and growing.

MrsBertBibby Tue 10-Jan-17 16:15:08

How about some primrose? I planted a stack of chionodoxa (stunning bright blue) in the grass under our apple trees last autumn, where there are loads of self-sprouted primrose. I am dying to see how they look together in a couple of months.

No sign of the winter aconite I planted. Harrumph.

TheMortificadosDragon Tue 10-Jan-17 17:31:43

I don't think anyone has mentioned celandines - another good early spring one. I've got a cultivar which is pale cream rather than the usual yellow, and a bit larger flowered.

NanTheWiser Tue 10-Jan-17 17:52:07

Still a bit early for Aconites, MrsB.

bookbook Tue 10-Jan-17 22:24:11

I was coming on to say chinodoxa too - I have bought some white ones this year - cannot wait to see them.

shovetheholly Wed 11-Jan-17 08:12:13

They're really lovely book - I hope you enjoy them! Mine took a few years to establish properly - like lots of bulbs!

bookbook Wed 11-Jan-17 09:04:04

I love my blue ones - I upset them many years ago by lifting them to bring to my new house. They were put in the pot with my deciduous azalea. They took a couple of years to forgive me smile
In fact all the bulbs /corms mentioned herel make me smile - seeing the first things coming through in spring is such a joy. I love my anenome blanda and winter aconites.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now