Talk

Advanced search

Furry Geranuims

(6 Posts)
marilynmonroe Sun 08-Jan-17 10:42:20

I have 2 geranuims and they have always kept well. For the past couple of weeks they have fur all over them and not looking healthy at all. The branches are all soggy. I pruned them right back and put bug killer on them as well as slug pellets but since xmas they are all furry again. I can see tiny new growth but it does not seem to be getting very far. What can I do (if anything). I always thought you could not kill geranuims.

Ferguson Sun 08-Jan-17 20:04:59

I assume you are referring to Pelargoniums.

They won't like cold and damp, and should normally be virtually dormant:

www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=338

shovetheholly Mon 09-Jan-17 09:08:46

Oh dear, it sounds as though they are going mouldy. I would cut out any bits that are looking bad, move them somewhere dry but not too warm (they aren't frost hardy, however, so you do need to ensure they have some protection from cold weather), and water them as little as possible until they recover.

ppeatfruit Mon 09-Jan-17 15:24:18

I killed some of mine, I overwintered in our back utility room it was too warm and dark (even though they were by a window) they died. I've put them under cover but outside (so more light) I did that last year, hardly any water and they came through fine. Though with this frost I made sure they weren't flat on the ground.

I never put anything like pesticides or slug killer on them and they are still fine.

marilynmonroe Mon 09-Jan-17 17:21:34

Thanks all. I think I'll do some more pruning on them and move them. Our garden doesn't get any sun in the winter which could be the problem. I bought the white flowered one to remind me of my late mum so really don't want that to die too!!

ppeatfruit Tue 10-Jan-17 10:18:08

They should only be pruned by a third I think, don't over do it. Wait till it starts to grow again in the spring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now