Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone identify this shrub for me?

(8 Posts)
cairnterrier Sun 08-Jan-17 08:53:02

Sorry don't have a picture to post at the moment. Can anyone tell me what this shrub might be? It's in flower at the moment on bare stems. The flowers are quite small and a waxy white/pink colour with small clusters of flowers together and have the most stunning scent. A real stop you in your tracks as you walk past type of thing. From memory the leaves come out later on and are a bit nondescript. Looking at it in neighbouring gardens, if it's left unchecked it can form quite a big bushy shape with lots of stems and looks as though it might benefit from hard pruning every so often.

I'm sure I do know the name of it and just can't think..... GRRRR!!!

If anyone does recognise it, is it easy to grow from a cutting? Thank you so much.

Gingernaut Sun 08-Jan-17 09:00:05

This the jobby?

blog.lisacoxdesigns.co.uk/tag/winter-garden-interest/

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel Sun 08-Jan-17 09:02:28

Sounds like winter flowering honeysuckle. I'll grab an image later.

brumblebee Sun 08-Jan-17 09:02:57

I think it is. I was just coming on to say viburnum.

Trethew Sun 08-Jan-17 10:35:01

Surely a viburnum. Most likely V bodnantense as already suggested, or possibly V farreri/fragrans

cairnterrier Sun 08-Jan-17 13:31:20

Viburnum, that's it!! Fab, thanks everyone.

Can anyone recommend any varieties over any others? We're in Scotland if that makes a difference.

Trethew Sun 08-Jan-17 17:10:57

Deben, Dawn and Charles Lamont all have AGMs but Dawn is my favourite and I think the best

cairnterrier Sun 08-Jan-17 20:22:22

Great! Will keep a look out for it.

Many thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now