Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Stripey Lawn Woes

(4 Posts)
LittleTalks Tue 03-Jan-17 10:11:53

We have a front lawn that was a mess when we moved in 2 years ago. A lot of it is under shade from trees, said tree roots make it rather bumpy and it was very mossy and weedy. The first autumn we moved in I used some RHS recommended all in one autumn seed and moss treatment with good effect. This autumn I couldn't get hold of that so used a similar one which came in a container with in built dispenser. It's now becoming obvious that I didn't hold it high enough when applying so I have stripes of lush green lawn where it fell and the mangy old crap in between.
Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do at this stage in the game? Is there any point seeding the gaps at this time of year? Should I wait a couple of months and then do it? I don't think turfing the whole thing is an option price wise.

5subjectnotebook Tue 03-Jan-17 16:40:21

Grass seed won't germinate now as the temperature is too low - I'd wait until the spring when the soil warms and the grass starts growing again then repeat your feed, weed and seed regime on the rough bits.

LittleTalks Tue 03-Jan-17 19:35:01

Thanks 5subject, I feared that might be the case. I guess I'll just have to avert my gaze until then to avoid the reminder of my stupidity!

shovetheholly Wed 04-Jan-17 07:48:29

If it's driving you absolutely mad, you can lay turf now, though you need to be careful not to walk on it too much for a bit. Otherwise, probably best to wait until spring. It's been a soggy winter and most people's lawns are looking a bit rubbish, mine very much included!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now